Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about how many people feel about committing themselves to a specific attack. Many people will tell u many different things, and they are all right. Committing can be as much of a hinderance as it can be positive...

Please, any ideas and thoughts would be appreciated.
Angus

Tim Greer
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you elaborate a little on what you mean exactly? Are you talking about practicing one attack/technique more than other's, or using one as a default, or using one more often, trying to more often, or making it your forte', or? If it's any of those, I don't suggest any of them being committed to more than anything else. Of course, there are reasons to train and use certain techniques over other's, but never commit too much time to one technique and never have one technique be your "best" either. Never.

I don't know anyone around my area that is faster than I am, but I don't commit to developing speed over anything else, nor do I plan to commit to maintaining it over anything else. I plan to maintain everything. However, some techniques are probably not something you want to spend as much time training and using other's, but there's a lot that are useful and should be used and trained a lot and I would never commit myself to anything, other than being ready, dynamic and able.

Everyone has enough time and ability to develop many aspects and techniques to acheive this, and not commit to any one technique. If you're referring to something else and I misunderstood, then please explain, because I'm not entirely sure along the lines you're speaking.

If you are and I did cover that, then I'd also not suggest on trying to be the best at everything, but trying to have or be the best or have one best technique over other's, is a bad idea in my opinion and it is too static and will just get in the way. There's no reason or logic to excel at only one attack/technique and commit to it over other's, unless it's a weakness and would be of value/an advantage to work on.

Also, if I'm not around for a while, I'm just away training. :-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry dude, i've had a long day.

I mean when you choose an attack in a fight, do u put all of your strength and balance into it in the blind hope that it hits and the guy does nothing to stop or counter the attack. Say a spinning hook, you commit to that with full strength and speed hoping the guy isn't quick enough to do a lower spinning hook and take u off your feet... If u can understand that then that's what i mean by commitment.

Angus

MuayTB1
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never try to use one way, or the other person will predicte it and defend it. If you fight for a living, you definitely don't won't to stick to one because before the fight, the opponent will study you form the last fight.

By the way, are you planing fight in the ring like you said you will? If you are, then good luck!

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, i am... I was gonna get into amateur kickboxing, but soon i'm going to be crosstraining my Goju Karate with Muay Thai. I wanted to do a little Muay Thai in the ring but since i'm a university student i think it might be safer if i stick to amateur kickboxing.

Thanx for the goodluck man,
Angus

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2001 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would really only totally commit my attacks in the street to give them the lethal edge. If you kill someone in the ring you might regret it later.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2001 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::edit::

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

Last edited by Bon on Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well i sometimes do but then i can't because it's like a wild shot so i have to do something else inless i have time to do it

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: