Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go along with what everyone has said, including me about using a Shotokan syllabus...

Anecdotally speaking, I’m pretty sure the Pinan series are the most common kyu/colored belt kata. Looking around a bit, it seems like more schools do those kata then don’t do them.

The Pinan/Heian (depending on pronunciation) series are done by more schools than just Shotokan. If I were to start a school where I knew many students would go elsewhere and continue training, the Pinan series would be a no-brainer to me. I’d add in others to fill the gaps, but the Pinan series would the emphasis.

For reference, again, Kanazawa is the authority IMO. Others may have some slight variations, but if they haven’t changed the kata too much, those variations would be easily adjusted for. No one who knows what they’re actually doing will see a student perform a Kanazawa kata and scratch their head.

LastKing
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Freestyle karate, kickboxing, tai chi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, yes, I've seen quite a few Kanazawa kata on youtube. In face, his were the ones which got me wondering why our kata seems so different.
I think what I'm going to do is introduce ones with names our kids are not familiar with in the Pinan/heinan series, rather than change to the official versions of the ones we already do. We only do five, so there's room.
Thanks for all the input.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastKing wrote:
Thanks, yes, I've seen quite a few Kanazawa kata on youtube. In face, his were the ones which got me wondering why our kata seems so different.
I think what I'm going to do is introduce ones with names our kids are not familiar with in the Pinan/heinan series, rather than change to the official versions of the ones we already do. We only do five, so there's room.

I don’t get what you’re saying here. There are only 5 Pinan kata. What do you mean by “we only do 5?” You only do Pinan 5, you only do Pinan 1-5, or you only do 5 total kata, and one of them is a Pinan?

mushybees
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Wado ryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand you correctly you don't want to teach the correct kata under the name the kids associate with your club specific version.

If you currently name your kata Pinan just name the Shotokan ones Heian. Problem solved.

P.A.L
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin-ryu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LastKing wrote:

are you doing this out of respect for the previous instructor? if you do, I understand but then, are you still gonna do the old katas, you gonna phase them out or just throw them out at once? then there are parents too. have you talked to them? you may have to face some Monday morning quarterbacks.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.A.L wrote:
LastKing wrote:

are you doing this out of respect for the previous instructor? if you do, I understand but then, are you still gonna do the old katas, you gonna phase them out or just throw them out at once? then there are parents too. have you talked to them? you may have to face some Monday morning quarterbacks.

This is just me!! What someone else does in their dojo is their business, and I will always resect that!!

I never ever discuss with the Student Body about any changes concerning the curriculum/syllabus. If a change(s) are made, or need to be made, then so be it. I most assuredly don't ever discuss any changes to the curriculum/syllabus whatsoever to parents and the like, especially parents and the like, or visitors.

I run the floor/dojo, and they [Parents and the like and whomever visits my dojo] know this from day one, and are reminded if they ever forget. Parents and the like might pay for the lessons but beyond that, the only thing they run is their shoes. I run my dojo, especially the floor; no one runs my floor because that's holy ground, and because it's holy ground, it's no-mans land.

Sorry, I'll go back to my corner!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: