Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taekowndo does not use pressure points. We have blocks(inside,outside, knife hands, X blocks, a square or double block). Mostly taekwondo, at least at my school, deals with sparring and forms. Kicks are used 70% of the time, and advanced students incorporate aerial kicks.

Lately, different martial art styles are being judge on how effective they are on the street. Taekwondo is not recommended if your in that school of thought.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2001 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At what level are you considered "advanced" enough to be using aerial kicks? And, which aerial kicks are taught first?

We start on jumping front, round, and side kicks around red to brown belt level (varies a little from school to school). Then we get into the jump spin and so on at around blk brown.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started performing spins when I was green belt, the spinning side-kick, spinning and kicking with the back leg, also spinning cresents. Our school doesn't incorporate jumps until blue belt(jump-spinning cresent, 360 side-side,etc..).
There is not a level were a student is considered advanced enough to perform spins or jumps. Wait, there is, its green belt, however, it really boils down to your abillity. Now with so many students coming in with other martial arts experience, a belt is just a belt, it doesn't represent one's ablility.
Just learn the baiscs well, grain them in your mind, then you'll be tough to beat. Then rule the world... um, wait don't rule the world.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know TKD belt ranks. How many months/yrs does your blue belt (on average) equate to?

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2001 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nine months

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our ranking is quite similar to CT's.... at green belt level our students start to perform more advanced kicks and blocking techniques....spinning hooks, jump side kicks...
Blue belt level (which is achieved approx. 2 years at our school) 9 months CT??? WOW
At blue belt level tornado kicks and 360's kicks are learned.
Our TKD ranking is as follows: white, gold (sparring begins), green (now an advanced student), purple, blue 1st., blue 2nd, brown 1st, brown 2nd, Black.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, KickChick.

We test every two months, which we call a session. I got my yellow belt within two months of starting, my green in four and was ready to spar. My macho sparring gear cost me 200 dollars. I told my sobunim that I'll just wear a cup and a month piece. He wouldn't let me. He said I would need my sparring gear for testing. Oh, well, back to my interesting story about our belt ranking system... My senior green at six month and blue a eight. Then sr. blue, red to sr.red, purple to sr. purple. Then trainee black, finally certify black belt. Personally, the belt ranking system is a bucket of bulls.....wait, hamster pellets.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuk Sool Won can vary slightly based on location of school. However, the most standard is:

We can't test more frequently than every 3 months.

Our belts go white, yellow stripe, yellow, blue stripe, blue, red stripe, red, brown stripe, brown. It then takes two stripes on the brown to be considered blk belt candidate. Each increment I described is at least the three months I mentioned above.

The quickest someone is allowed to progress is usually 2 yrs to brown, and at least another 2 yrs to get to black. We are then required to wait 2 yrs before beginning to test for 2nd degree, another 3 yrs after promotion to begin testing for 3rd, etc.

That's why they stress to us from the very beginning that it will take Patience and Perseverance (the two P's) for us to succeed in KSW.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2001 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is how it goes in my Tae kwon do school:

White (begin with this anyway)
Yellow
Yellow with Green Tab
Green
Green with Blue Tab
Blue
Blue with Brown Tab
Brown
Brown with Black Tab
Black belt

Each grading is 3 months apart up until blue belt. After one has achieved blue belt, each grading is six months apart. However, the black belt testings are only held once a year so it depends on when you get your brown belt as to when you can go for Black Belt.
34-43 months, looking at 3 years, probably a little more until Black Belt. After that its 2 years for 2nd dan, 3 years for 3rd dan etc.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually if you study tkd closely you will realize that taekwondo aims alot of strikes at pressure points...also in tkd there are more than 1 way to do a round hous kick...they kick for sport with the instep but in a fight your supposed to use the ball of your foot...It harder...so thats why your not supposed to use the ball of the foot in compeitions
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: