Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in tkd there are 2 ways to throw a round house...with the ball or the instep...the ball of your foot is for combat while the instep was for sparring...

Cory Reynolds
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-01-31 10:19, KSN Doug wrote:
Now, I've seen in some of the other threads that some TKDs do teach at least a limited amount of grappling.

For those that do, how much focus is there, at what point did you learn them, and what are a couple examples?

We do a fair amount of grappling at our school, but should we start a new thread so that we don't get off topic?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go right ahead Cory, I'm for it.

mastertae
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

since TKD was formed using the original 2000 year old taekkyon arts in which other arts from japan and china were incorporated it is very likely that TKD was meant to use with other arts...Many korean grandmasters also do hapkido and teach in the korean military

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, for those of you in Hapkido, are your techniques broken out into groups, or are they random?

I ask because Kuk Sool Won has them grouped by type of situation you would use them in. i.e. wrist grab techniques, double handed grab, grab from behind, etc.

omnifinite
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Hapkido | Kempo | Jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSN Doug wrote:
So, for those of you in Hapkido, are your techniques broken out into groups, or are they random?

I ask because Kuk Sool Won has them grouped by type of situation you would use them in. i.e. wrist grab techniques, double handed grab, grab from behind, etc.

Mine were. Each belt degree was usually made up of a certain type of attack. Not always, but usually.

amp
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo/RyuTe Karate, Aikido

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[CT]pizzaboy wrote:
Lately, different martial art styles are being judge on how effective they are on the street. Taekwondo is not recommended if your in that school of thought.

If you do want to protect yourself on the streets and like Korean arts, Hapkido is about the best way you can go. It has a lot of punches and kicks that Tae Kwon Do has, and it has moves that Jiu Jitsu does. Choi, Yong Sool was taught by Takeda, Sokaku, who was a master of Daito-Ryu Aiki-Jujutsu. Morihei Ueshiba, founder of AIkido, also trained under Takeda.

Recently I had someone try to show me a complicated lapel grab defense which he couldn't pull off. With no effort, one hand and barely any effort, I showed him a more effective technique that brought him to the floor in under two seconds. It's been my experience that jujutsu and jujutsu-derived arts are incredibly effective (Aiki-Jujutsu, Brazilian Jiu-Jujutsu, Aikido, Hapkido, etc.). With the kicks and other techniques that Ji, Han Jae brought to Hapkido, it is extremely effective.

As far as tournaments go, our school did one just because some of the upper level students were curious about them. They were extremely successful at it, but since Hapkido is not a sport we haven't made a habit of competing.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard some of you guys in TKD say you DO learn some controlling techniques as well. Do any of you learn weapons, or is everything empty handed?

I don't mean you learned it on your own, or your instructor learned it on his/her own and taught it to you. I mean are there any weapons in your 'official' curriculum for promotions?

Similar question for you Hapkido guys. Except, I know you learn weapons. My question to you is what weapons at what levels?

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We dont do any weapons unfortunately.

As per an earlier question my TKD school has its first official sweeps taught at purple belt (9mo to 1yr) and again at blue and brown belt. The first throw is at brown belt. Locks and such begin at green belt for testing purposes but I remember learning some as early as yellow belt durring the course of a class.

Official here meaning required by my school for grading.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: