Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we have a decent number of different Korean systems here now, is anyone else interested in comparing them? NOT their effectiveness, but the content & technique used in each.

(i.e. picking apart the percentage of kicks, types, and technique for delivery in each system)

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trick question, because apparently there's only one way to perform a punch or a kick. I've only study taekwondo and practice some boxing drill so I don't have alot to compare with, however the difference is between a style's emphasis. In taekwondo, its kicks, flexibility, and for the advanced, aerial kicks. With boxing, its the hands, developing muscles, and mobility aound the ring. Also between traditional and non-traditional schools, even though teaching the same style, they emphasize different aspects fo the art.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is more than one "right" way to throw a kick. Look closer at some of these other posts. On Angus's response to my question on a Thai round kick, he says they strike with the "hard part of the shin bone." While we in Kuk Sool Won strike with the top of the foot.

Another would be bent leg kicks. Some arts snap the knee. We are taught to explode through, not snap back.

These are the subtle differences that interest me.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In taekwondo, for the front kick we strike with the front of our foot with the toes pull back. With the round house kick, chamber with the leg horizontally and strike with the front of our foot. Or sometimes what I'll do, which my sobunim calls cheating, is not to chamber and stike with my instep.

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

taezee
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most important factor of korean kicks is folow through and speed..this is what makes our kicks distinguisable beyond other styles...proper execution of the kicking technnique...but the most important factor being speed and target aquisition..these are accomplished by constant drilling...speed drills ..target drills... if you have speed and accuracy then you have strong effective kicking these are the two main ingredients of strong kicking ..which is what the korean arts are most known for..where as using these two factors even a small practitioner can throw powerful accurate kicks..of corse there are many other factors as foot work..and closing the gap..and timing..but body mechanics and speed are the two most important things...

"whenever youre lazy enough not to train .someone, somewhere is training very hard to kick your *"

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's exactly what I was looking to find out. Is it the same for Tang Soo Do?

My next question would be on hand techniques. Our reverse punch starts at the hip, fully extends with the back of the hand facing down (like the old fashioned boxing photos) and turns over as the fist strikes the target. Also, our palm strike is fully extended when the elbow is still slightly bent.

How about TKD, TSD, and Hapkido?

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, in Tae Kwon Do our punches are the same as you describe. Not sure on the Palm heel strike since I am not at that level yet, but I have done them before, I just cant remember if the arm is fully straightened or left slightly bent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I thought you study in Kuk Sool Won. The recent post said you study in Tang Soo Do, an art Chuck Norris studied. However, back to the subject. Yep, the punch are the same. Just keep in mine to punch with your first two knuckles(the top part), not the flat part. I broke my four and fifth matacarpalls on my right hand(a boxer's break). Does your art incorporate spins;180s, 360s?

I often quote myself. It adds spice to my conversations.

SBN Doug
KF VIP

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are correct, I'm KSW through and through.

My last post is actually asking any TSD practicioners if their kicks (and now punches)are the same as ours in KSW and in TKD.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2001 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a student of Kuk Sool Won, I would also like to know what the percentages of kicks, hand strikes, and techniques that other Korean forms use. In KSW, the number of basic kicks and hand strikes are around 20 each. These build the foundation for techniques and forms. The number of techniques (clothing, blocking, inside wrist, pressure point, joint lock, etc) is somewhere over 200, but normally broken down into groups of 10-15. I think there are about 6 or 7 (what we call) forms up to first black belt level that must be done.
Hope this clarifies the original question of comparing different Korean systems, or any martial arts system in general. I don't think I would ever abandon KSW, but would like to know more about how others are structured.

[ This Message was edited by: zr440 on 2001-12-06 10:12 ]
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: