Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

golden tiger
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to thank you all,for you wellcomes.i seend you my best wishes from greece,for the forum and you all.C ya

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2001-06-08 10:35, jamesdasher wrote:
Ummm...Patrick that is golden tiger

Don't correct me James! lol

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a natural human need to gauge our abilities against other's... it's due to something called ego and although some people have no chance in a competition, they will still enter to satisfy this need. Sure there's better ways of gauging your abilities, but considering competition has been around since we were apes, I think it's safe to say that it's here to stay.

KUGB_Chris1985
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

true, true!
Well said Mr. ts757. I fully agree. My ego needs competition, It gives me such a buzz knowing in the next three minutes I could get some sort of injury or deal one out.

Oss!
Chris Pullan.
1st Dan Shotokan Karate. (KUGB)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2001 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, well, Mr. Pullan, this is why I DONT enter competitions. You see, I've actually lost count of how many times you've come to school with broken ribs... This is what scares me. I can see where the "buzz" comes in, as the fight is not only against your opponent, but against your own natural instinct not to get hurt... though keeping your ribs intact next time might be advisable.

KUGB_Chris1985
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now ts757.
you've forgotten the 2 broken noses, sprained wrist, dislocated shoulder, sprained ankle, numerous black eyes and I've had 4 ribs broken.
Don't let this put you off. I only get injured so much because I go against the bigger boyz!
But it's all fun!!!

Oss!
Chris Pullan.
1st Dan Shotokan Karate. (KUGB)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Angus
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well dude,

I don't really believe in tournaments as a show of superior skill, i see war and only war as an adequate scene for the performace of superior skill.... but tournaments are fun games. I'm going to soon get into amateur kickboxing (ring) and karate kumite (semi-contact point)...

There ye go,
Angus.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2001 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in Shito Ryu Karate so I know this is not exactly my site but, what the heck! I have been in three tournaments mainly because the first two I wasn't ready for. I think that tournaments are great. They provide you ample competition, get to meet other people, and its fun. The judges aren't really biased because they all take lessons on how to behave. Sometimes they are when they are higher up but that really doesn't matter. The Kumite is my personal favourite because I enjoy it the most.

Those are my two cents

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)

thaiboxerken
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think "forms" or "kata" competitions are a waste of time. Not just because I don't like forms or kata, but because each style/system has their own "kata" so there isn't a solid, subjective judgement criteria. I bet the Tai Chi guys don't do well at the "kata" tournaments because they moves very slow where-as the karate guys have very dynamic kata that is fast and exciting to watch. To me, if you want to see people flipping in the air, go watch Gymnastics.
As far as sparring or fighting, full-contact with very little rules is the best way to go. Then you can actually see the dynamics and flow of combat. Point sparring is a "who can touch who first" type of competition and really upsets the flow of competition. Shotokan guys are starting to compete in full-contact and grappling, which is great.

Karateka
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2001 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To Ken's comment, there are actually a ground ruling for Kata. If you go to http://www.wkf.net and download the new Karate rules, you can see what they consider into Kata's. It is really quite interesting to see how the break it down into The actual techniques and not the styles.

Sensei Ron Bagley (My Sensei)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 2 of 12
Jump to: