Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just wondering what you guys all thought about competitions. There are many different thoughts on this area os Karate, so just post anything you want about them.

Oss

Tobias
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

trunksreznor
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2001 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've participated in two competitions in the span of my training, since I've only been training less than two years. It's the view of my dojo that competitions can breed a desire to succeed and can serve as a learning experience. We don't stress them much, though, and the only tournaments we ever hold are within our association of dojos. It's very friendly that way.

One on one sparring is my weakest skill, so I lost my first and only sparring tournament. I much prefer a kata tournament. I'm very focused on myself and what's inside of me, so that's why I like kata. Some dojos make a big effort to compete, but I have enough of my own feelings of competition. So in a way, I'm glad we don't formally compete much.

Lady Miyako, Akira #20
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started training in a non-competitive, non-fighting club, so my thoughts of competitions were very little.

The club I attend at the moment enters the odd competition.

However, myself and a few of my students (1 especially, meantioning no names [Ts757]), believe, or used to believe, that competitions are extremely biased towards certain styles. This is obviously because in kata the results always depend on the judges, and in many of the competitions I have been to, the judges have favoured the Okinawan styles (short stances, etc). This could be classed as corruption, and it has put off many of my students to enter competitions.

But, oh well, lets keep talking.

TS757, I expect some messages from you.

Tobias
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

ts757
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Tobias has already stated one of my views on competitions, but I also believe that is is improper to put one persons skills against anothers when they have both been trained differently, and one person may have a disability that could affect their performance. One person is not better than another as long as both people are putting everything they have into their training. One of my instructor says "We all have little 'niggles' we can't help take them and make them part of the Kata." Not exactly a profound quote, but it puts the message accross... I'm rambeling arn't I?

KUGB_Chris1985
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2001 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've been training for about 6 years and i'm going for my 2nd Dan on Sunday 10th June 2001, so I'm training about 5 times a week. I go to Harrogate Shotokan Karate Club and the Leeds Karate Acadamy in Boston Spa.
I've been to lots of Competitions all over the country and won a few, but, I've just been moved up to the 16-21 year olds group and it's alot harder!
C ya
Chris P
:karate:

[ This Message was edited by: KUGB_Chris1985 on 2001-06-04 13:30 ]

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my view, i feel competition is not about winning or losing but the fact that you have to perform in front of a crowd. thus giving you the training of expecting the unexpected. it also gives you self confidence required to do tasks in front of others. sort of like public speaking.

just my humble opinion

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

golden tiger
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I startet Shotokan in a small town in Germany.(i was born ther).Now i am living in Greece and i have my own shool with my older cousin.He have the 3rd dan.I get mine in abbout 8 months.I hope...!Abbout the competitions,well i dont like them very.I always wandet to learn the old traditional way of Shotokan.When competitions than only kata.I like them a lot.
And i agree with rushman,abbout what he said

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you golden tiger and a warm welcome to our forum.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2001 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... welcome Golden Tiger.

[ This Message was edited by: Patrick on 2001-06-08 12:58 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

jdash
KF VIP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ummm...Patrick that is golden tiger
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> MMA, Muay Thai, Kickboxing, Boxing, and Competitive Fighting All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12
Jump to: