Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Stabinoff
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Complete beginner looking for a direction Reply with quote

Hey everyone. This is my first post here, but I have been lurking for a while, and I have found that so many of you are very helpful and knowledgeable.

Back in April of 2010, I started on a journey to take back my body. I was obese, inactive, and experiencing weird illnesses caused by the things I ate. At this point, I have lost 60 pounds and am feeling great. I have mostly been focused on strength training, as I have never been fond of aerobic exercise. I find typical aerobic exercise to be extremely dull and repetitive. Who really likes tread mills and exercise bikes? Living where I do, outdoor running and biking is only an option half the year.

Anyway, I have been at a weight plateau for 4 months now, and feel that exploring martial arts may be exactly what I need. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to start. I recognize that the journey into martial arts is a long one, with no quick results. I am under no illusion that I will shine after little effort. The physical transformation method I chose was strengthening, which also has really slow results. I am very familiar with this.

Anyway, I though I'd lay out what I'm looking for, and maybe you all could point me in the right direction. First, a brief bio.

I hail from Michigan, and work full time as a computer technician. I work a M-F 9-5 job that leaves me on my rump all day long. I have two daughters and a wife at home, and love having them involved in all I do. Watching my 4 year old daughter pull on large pencils as I'm pulling on my dumb bells is frikken cute. So an path that can include them would be wonderful.

I have 4 days a week that I can give 2 or more hours to whatever path I explore. I have another 10 hours that I can devote to practice on my own. I'm looking for something that is physically challenging and that might utilize the strength that I have been building. I'm also interested in both unarmed and weapon fighting. Lastly, I'm drawn to tradition, and would love to explore something that is soaked in tradition.

At this point, the two arts that are drawing my eyes are Tae Kwon Do and Pencak Silat PCK. Tae Kwon Do because I took a semester of that 15 years ago in college and found it enjoyable. Pencak Silat PCK because my cousin is Guru Besar Jerry Jacobs, and he has been pestering me to give it a try for a long time now. (HAnds down, I'd study with my cousin, but the 110 mile distance between me and him make that hard) Would either of these offer a combination of tradition and physical exertion that may push me over my physical transformations plateau? Is there another art that may be what I'm looking for? And finally, what is the best way to research an art before trying it out?

Thanks ahead of time for reading through my long-winded ramblings, and I appreciate all comments.

-Stabinoff

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KarateForums, Stabinoff.

Since you have two schools laid out already, go take the time to watch several classes of each, and see which one appears to offer the challenges your are looking for on a consistent basis. You can also do a Google search for Martial Arts schools in your area, and see what else turns up. That will tell you more useful information than those of us sitting behind our computers could guesstimate at. Many times, you might find what you are looking for in a very obscure place, so even though you've got a few ideas in mind, keep an open mind to looking at other styles and systems.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted. See you around the forums!

Shotoseidoka
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Seidokan & Shotokan Karate Do

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Bushido_man96, definitely go out an watch at least a weeks worth of classes for each. Also many schools will let you try out a class or two. Do lots of research, with my experience students pick the Sensei not the school/style.

But since your looking for good physical exertion, look into a BJJ class, doing ground fighting for 5+ minutes will really test your cardio.

Good Luck and train hard

"True Bunkai lies in the mind of the practitioner, there is no right or wrong bunkai, only what works."

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shotoseidoka wrote:
I agree with Bushido_man96, definitely go out an watch at least a weeks worth of classes for each. Also many schools will let you try out a class or two. Do lots of research, with my experience students pick the Sensei not the school/style.

But since your looking for good physical exertion, look into a BJJ class, doing ground fighting for 5+ minutes will really test your cardio.

Good Luck and train hard

Actually, any decent grappling school will require you to do cardio as a warm up or outside of class. If 5 minutes wears you out, you're muscling through things and not breathing properly. Any high level grapplers tend to be able to have a conversation as they roll.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forums Stabinoff. Always try out a class as its not the style but the teacher that you really need to choose.

Of the two styles you've talked about, TKD is a lot of cardio and is usually accompanied by the traditions side. But what you get does vary greatly by the style of TKD you take and very few schools teach weapons (and those that do can be a bit suspect). If you want to read up about TKD, I recommend http://tkdtutor.com/ as there's loads of great information on there. And a lot of it is relevant no matter what martial art you take.

shinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hoshinkido Hapkido, Genbukan Ninjutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check Hapkido ? cuz you have all the taekwondo moves + joint locks,throws,sweep,pressure points,ground fighting,weapons etc...

there's a good school in Michigan with GM Hee Kwan Lee (in Battle Creek).

I was there not long ago for the 2012 world martial arts championship.

Anyway, just letting you know.
He's 9th degree black belt..... a Grandmaster.

Good friend with my master.

shinka
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hoshinkido Hapkido, Genbukan Ninjutsu

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you check Hapkido ? cuz you have all the taekwondo moves + joint locks,throws,sweep,pressure points,ground fighting,weapons etc...

there's a good school in Michigan with GM Hee Kwan Lee (in Battle Creek).

I was there not long ago for the 2012 world martial arts championship.

Anyway, just letting you know.
He's 9th degree black belt..... a Grandmaster.

Good friend with my master.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Welcome to KarateForums, Stabinoff.

Since you have two schools laid out already, go take the time to watch several classes of each, and see which one appears to offer the challenges your are looking for on a consistent basis. You can also do a Google search for Martial Arts schools in your area, and see what else turns up. That will tell you more useful information than those of us sitting behind our computers could guesstimate at. Many times, you might find what you are looking for in a very obscure place, so even though you've got a few ideas in mind, keep an open mind to looking at other styles and systems.

Good luck in your search, and keep us posted. See you around the forums!

Welcome to KarateForums.com

I totally concur completely with Brian!!

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to KF. I'd go check out some classes, if possible.

Nevinyrral
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Karate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if what youseek is getting in shape, I'd say any artwill be good for you (mayby not sumo )
It all depends if you wantand will give your all while training.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: