Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious resistive training; the more the better. Without this type of training, how will someone know how they might react to an attack and/or technique(s)?! Confidence is an earned element in any practitioner, and that confidence needs, no, demands a qualified instructor than can properly nourish that confidence, but not any false security; effectiveness is the exclamation point of confidence.

Yet, that nourished confidence has to be realistic and practical.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Confidence in using your Karate for real world self defe Reply with quote

Go2ursensei wrote:
how confident are you that ur knowledge of Karate would hold up againts 3 random knuckleheads that want to jump you or tackle you for example? Any stories of karateka here thats used their training to get out of a situation? If yes DETAILS pls

This question is so heavily dependent on my psychology and lifestyle that makes it a multi answered question.

What I mean is, if I am on a celibate kick + healthy foods+ hill runs and tons of strength and conditioning. I am a different human being because I am sharper, way more aggressive and have tons of cardio with the adrenalin dump on top.

Conversely, there was a time where I was very skilled, sharp in sparring but then my mind started thinking about a girl that I loved and I got in to this weird head space of missing out on life. During this time, I was a mix of passive, docile and submissive because I felt like I missed out on love, romance with the person I was meant to be with. Being skilled meant nothing at that point.

Of course, I finally made peace with that aspect of my life and I became a bit more aggressive because I felt like I was too busy rebuilding the past in my head as oppose to looking ahead and building a future.

Anyways, my point is, people (including martial artist) go through a different head space and there are times in life that we are stronger and more assertive and other times, we are questioning our own value and self worth. This is my personal experience anyways.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very interesting, Himokiri. We do tend to have different mental orientations at different times in our lives, so that can make a huge difference. Mental practice is important to stay sharp and focused.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
That is very interesting, Himokiri. We do tend to have different mental orientations at different times in our lives, so that can make a huge difference. Mental practice is important to stay sharp and focused.

Sounds just like Shu Ha Ri to me; knowledge and experience change constantly, and have to repeat the newness all over again.

Miick 11
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Confidence in using your Karate for real world self defe Reply with quote

Go2ursensei wrote:
how confident are you that ur knowledge of Karate would hold up againts 3 random knuckleheads that want to jump you or tackle you for example? Any stories of karateka here thats used their training to get out of a situation? If yes DETAILS pls
\

Three at once ! Well , only if they have weapons and are doing aikido ( 'randori in joke' ) .

I guess my answer would be ; more confidant than I would be without the training I have had .

Once I had a mob of knuckle heads charging me (and others ) . It was a forest anti-illegal logging protest and said 'knuckleheads' where redneck drunks ( not loggers , they where on our other side, waiting for an opportunity) One guy singled me out k . It doesnt really count as the attack was stupid and clumsy and easily dealt with . Then the police tried to stop it and they attacked the police ! I saw one guy surrounded by about 4 and he was copping it from all directions, I thought ' That's not fair ! ' and stepped in to help him . Then it turned into a general melee . On that level I thought I did fairly well .... f wading through the confusion, doing a few throws on those that grabbed me .... fairly gentle stuff, I am not into 'damaging' people . Then I realised the guy I was helping ( we where back to back by then ' boxing' it out with them ) was actually a police rescue officer in white overalls . They watched me for a bit , picked up people off the ground and arrested them and then grabbed me, took me to the sidelines and said 'Ok, thats enough for you .' The others got carted off and arrested for assaulting police .

Result - successful action - large areas of that locality are now preserved as world heritage 'Gondwana Rainforest ' .

I think the most valuable skill there WAS some randori practice ... keep moving, have 'spherical awareness ' , ' dont be drunk ' , and a few arm, joint and 'weak point' manipulations .

To use other stuff I do 'karate' ..... far too violent , especially with police watching .

( legal self defense is also something I teach )

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:

True and I find that I do much better if I train in different arts. The reason is, if I stick to just boxing and boxing only, I deprive my body to experience new movements that can be challenging but also rewarding. In respect to mind, its very good to train in a different art and comeback to the main style to feel that newness again. It also can be a humbling experience being bad at a different martial arts. Good way to stay sharp and vigilant in training.

I think there is a special magic in being new at something and taking time off from your original style and then going back to it has its own benefits. Most of it pertains to the mind and staying fresh. This is what happened to me with this love/lust feelings. There was a sense of going nowhere in life, stuck in the same gym at a style of martial arts (boxing) that is not popular in my hometown to go anywhere in life. This leads to being disillusioned and feeling defeated and uninterested.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2021 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Training in different arts does offer that "fresh" perspective, and it helps to see our other art in a different light.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: