Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

little kicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: judo,boxing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: confidence Reply with quote

well theres been a big increse in violence around my area lately,just last saturday my father was attacked.
theres teens getting drunk and attacking people who are just walking past.
today infact i walked past an area really close to my house and was confronted with a gang of boys who decided to augue with me which i ignored.i walked off and they followed me home,saying they wanted to fight me (i cant really say what they were saying here way too violent).while i probly have enough of a ma backround to fight if things got to that stage i dont want it to,i hate having to fight on the street (dangerous police etc)there starting on girls especially but they always do it in gangs of 10 or 15.it quit intimidating.so any way i wanted some advice really on making yourself look more confident/intimidating to them.
oh and as a post not i thought about a weapon but most are illegal here,even pepperspray.i thought about using thing like keys etc but dnt really wanna get to that stage.

thanks in advance.

username8517
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if you do end up getting in a confrontation with a group of 10-15 guys you're probably going to end up on the losing side bad. You did the right thing last time by walking away and ignoring them. Although good way to display confidence is to walk around with your head held high.

If you absolutely have to fight, car keys is always a good improv weapon.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a different path to walk. Or better yet, don't walk any more. At least, not by yourself.

karateone
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about where you are but around here you have to make yourself seem like a bad dude. Stick your chest out and be man. Try to avoid a fight but if one happens don't back down stand up and show them you aren't scared. If you'll do this sometimes they will leave without a fight but even if you do fight they can't help but respect you. Dont do anything stupid but don't be a skeerdiy cat and run.

Enter the Spaz
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Shorin Ryu, Arnis and now Wing Chun

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel, but you did do the right thing. In my old neighborhood there was a family who moved in and brought a gang of punks along with them. They harassed me a bit, but I never let on that they were intimidating me so they kind of left me alone. It's hard not to want to take a couple of them out but it really is a no win situation. Don't feel bad about feeling intimidated, it's natural, besides it's one of those situations in life that you alone can do nothing about.

What we did in my old neighborhood though was pull together and get the police involved. In no time the gang moved on because the constant patrols that our complaints had started made it uncomfortable for them to carry out their harassment and trouble making.

So, I would definitely get the police involved the more they get away with it, the more emboldened they become, and before you know it, your neighborhood is a ghetto and you are selling your house way under what you paid for it just to get away.

shukokai2000
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: shukokai shito-ryu ... boxing/kick boxing

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You wre wise just to walk past without lowering yourself to their level, Notice how they are in groups of 10/15/20, if you walk past 1, 2 of them they will probaly say good morning, nothing but coward bullies with no confidence in them selfs let alone repsect.
just ignore them they will soon get bored and go back to their Play station

Blackbelt1400
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do, Ju Jit Su

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Gang Problem Reply with quote

I dont like the idea of being ganged up on by 10 or 15 guys. I usually carry a knife with me. If your like, on your way to school then I do not suggest bringing a knife, but as one of the posters said, car keys are a good improvision. If that many people gang up on you, I suggest you take one out. Try to find the biggest one and kick him in the knee, as hes dropping knee him in the stomach and then elbow him in the head. If your life is on the line, improvise how you see neccesary. Remember that elbows are your friends. God gave us elbows for two reasons. Drinking beer and smashing ribs. Good luck, and I hope your father is alright.

Blackbelt1400@yahoo.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

elbows_and_knees
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: thai boxing, grappling

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

karateone wrote:
I don't know about where you are but around here you have to make yourself seem like a bad dude. Stick your chest out and be man. Try to avoid a fight but if one happens don't back down stand up and show them you aren't scared. If you'll do this sometimes they will leave without a fight but even if you do fight they can't help but respect you. Dont do anything stupid but don't be a skeerdiy cat and run.

on my side of tennessee, that will only get you stomped on. there is a difference between not being scared and "sticking your chest out and acting bad". One may save you, the other will land you in the middle of a fight. Acting hard is blatant disrespect right off the bat. You will end up in a fight just so he can prove he's harder than you are.

elbows_and_knees
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gang Problem Reply with quote

Blackbelt1400 wrote:
I dont like the idea of being ganged up on by 10 or 15 guys. I usually carry a knife with me. If your like, on your way to school then I do not suggest bringing a knife, but as one of the posters said, car keys are a good improvision. If that many people gang up on you, I suggest you take one out. Try to find the biggest one and kick him in the knee, as hes dropping knee him in the stomach and then elbow him in the head. If your life is on the line, improvise how you see neccesary. Remember that elbows are your friends. God gave us elbows for two reasons. Drinking beer and smashing ribs. Good luck, and I hope your father is alright.

Blackbelt1400@yahoo.com

I would suggest that don't try this. thinking and premeditating about the targets you choose will only make you hesitate. In addition, you can't assume a kick to the knee will drop him. If his knee is bent, it won't do much damage at all.

elbows_and_knees
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: confidence Reply with quote

little kicker wrote:
well theres been a big increse in violence around my area lately,just last saturday my father was attacked.
theres teens getting drunk and attacking people who are just walking past.
today infact i walked past an area really close to my house and was confronted with a gang of boys who decided to augue with me which i ignored.i walked off and they followed me home,saying they wanted to fight me (i cant really say what they were saying here way too violent).while i probly have enough of a ma backround to fight if things got to that stage i dont want it to,i hate having to fight on the street (dangerous police etc)there starting on girls especially but they always do it in gangs of 10 or 15.it quit intimidating.so any way i wanted some advice really on making yourself look more confident/intimidating to them.
oh and as a post not i thought about a weapon but most are illegal here,even pepperspray.i thought about using thing like keys etc but dnt really wanna get to that stage.

thanks in advance.

no matter how much training you have, against that many people, you are pretty much guaranteed to lose. If they are always there, I would take another route home, as has been suggested. Or, be proactive. Call the cops before you walk. Let them know that a group of thugs has been over there harassing people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: