Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
GeoGiant wrote:
Still Kicking - interesting thought! Most of us will have a moment when we see death coming. Will that moment be frightening or serene?

Imho, it would depend on one's faith.

Well played!

still kicking
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shito-ryu Karate, Muso Shinden Ryu Iaido

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
Quote:
Imho, it would depend on one's faith.

Absolutely! But even so, aside from the "hereafter", what I'm really afraid of is pain. I just hope it doesn't hurt too much. But then I'm just a big baby.

Another thing I have been thinking about this... we get a lot of practice w/dying every day, to one extent or another. I mean in the sense of losing face, losing possessions, losing previous capabilities, disappointments, death, divorce, or estrangement from loved ones. So it's kind of like "building up your muscles" for the big one.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it isn't so much a fear of death as what happens to those who are precious to me, still alive.

My children are special needs, autistic spectrum. They are only nine years old and need as much support as possible. They really need me to advocate for them and my age is almost 59. I need my health as well as my life, if only for them. My parents are in their 80s. I can think of different times since they've turned seventy that I've brought one or the other to the hospital, and had to discuss their medical condition with doctors.

GeoGiant
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Joe! Your story adds a much needed perspective to this type of a discussion.

I don't have a lot of family and the family i do have, aside from my wife, is older than I am so I rarely consider those that will be left behind when I ...go. The reality for me is that I'm not going to discover the cure for cancer or make some other significant contribution to society. As my immediate friends go, the memories of me will die with them and when all those friends pass, it will be like I was never here.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeoGiant wrote:

. . . the family i do have, aside from my wife, is older than I am . . . As my immediate friends go, the memories of me will die with them and when all those friends pass, it will be like I was never here.

It was brought up a few times in the movie Troy that Achilles would have his name remembered. Being immortalized is being kept alive in the minds of others, and it may be for reasons good or bad.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joesteph wrote:
GeoGiant wrote:

. . . the family i do have, aside from my wife, is older than I am . . . As my immediate friends go, the memories of me will die with them and when all those friends pass, it will be like I was never here.

It was brought up a few times in the movie Troy that Achilles would have his name remembered. Being immortalized is being kept alive in the minds of others, and it may be for reasons good or bad.

And this one

'The key to immortality is first to live a life worth remembering'.
B.Lee
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: