Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My boyfriend's kung fu school has a pretty scary contract, you get reduced prices for longer contracts but if you quit they'll continue to merrily deduct the fees from your checking account for the length of the contract. Seemed like a big honking red flag to me, but it appears to be a perfectly respectable school...

I like that Idea alot, could save alot of people alot of money. I mean once you have been at a dojo for a while and you know youn are not going anywhere I think it would be a great idea to sign something like a 5 year contract, but I can see why alot of people would not like this idea

I AM CANADIAN

monkeygirl
KF VIP

Styles: Tae Kwon Do

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chh wrote:

My boyfriend's kung fu school has a pretty scary contract, you get reduced prices for longer contracts but if you quit they'll continue to merrily deduct the fees from your checking account for the length of the contract. Seemed like a big honking red flag to me, but it appears to be a perfectly respectable school...

Our school's contract is just like that. (see kickbuttmom's post...she's my mother) But think about it: 6 months MEANS 6 months! You can't just whine your way out of a contract. We've had many people attempt to do this.

Martial arts training is not about the money. In my school, it never has been. But the money IS needed for rent, utilities, etc. If you think about it too, contracts help keep prices lower. By knowing that the money will be there every month for rent, prices don't have to skyrocket.
Think about MA contracts as your cable bill: even if you didn't watch TV that month, you still have to pay the bill.

Contracts are not some horned demon out to get you...they're for the good of the school and therefore the students.

No matter the tune...if you can rock it, rock it hard.

Pacificshore
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Chinese Kenpo/Kara-Ho Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts may or may not be for everybody. But perhaps an approach to take with the new potential student is that you sign them up for 30 days at a reasonable rate. This will give them more than enough time to evaluate whether or not this is the dojo for them. Once they've made their decision, then be straight up with them about the contract signing and their commitment and responsibility for the x amount of months or year.

I can see why some would be relunctant to sign an extended contract. My buddy who use to teach at a TKD dojo used contracts, and the prices for their programs, although comparable to his area, was outrageous in my mind. There would be no way that I would sign up for something like this especially with the amount of time you get the train.

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sign. Teaching is about trust. I understand the Sensei needs to know he will have studensts but to tie you to him is wrong.... IMO.... If you do sign make sure you have an out clause. Such as moving, sickness (can't train for 2 months broken arm), school, work changes, and so on. I would never tie myself to someone. If he or she is a good teacher the students wil stay because they love him or her not because they have to.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion about contracts is that they should be good for everyone involved. If you sign, you should get a discount or benefit over going month to month. If you are an instructor, you get a guaranteed income stream over the term of the contract.

If a dojo must have contracts then maybe they can have a thirty or sixty day trial period for those that are new and provisions for moving and other hardships. Different terms could be offered for different monthly payments. I would be wary of anyplace that required a year commitment from the beginning with no other options.

guarddog
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: American Kenpo Karate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:24 pm    Post subject: no contract here Reply with quote

Hey Jim,

My club what you do is give them 6chq but no contract. If for some reason I can't stay a member I rec any chq I gave upfront. That is how it is at this point anyhow. I don't know why anyone would want a yr. contract. Like you said, its not like your buying or leasing a car, etc. Its a spare time activity.

ramymensa
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've discussed this problem with a friend of mine, a karate instructor in Munich and he told me it could be a reason in this request of signing a contract. He told me perhaps the instructors want to know how much they can rely on their student. Although this makes perfect sense I still feel it's weird

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contracts can keep people coming to a class. However if you are not sure you are going to like the class don't sign a contract. If the school has a single class rate then pay that until you are sure you want to sign. I can see both sides of the contract issue.

If the school offers different types of contracts that is good. I know in my dojo we have a single class rate and monthly rates. The monthly rate depends on how many classes you attend that month. You pay more for the single class but you don't lose your money if you dont come to class on your determined day (or days). Yearly contracts I don't like unless you plan to stay there the whole year. Of course this type of contract can make it assure that the instructor gets paid and keep the person coming to class.

If your not into it never sign a contract.

AndrewGreen
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Crazy Penguin Ninjitsu

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Martial arts schools are still businesses, we need to opperate as a business otherwise the their won't be a business.

Nobody opens a school to get rich, but the bills still need to be paid. The landlord needs a contract, the phone company does, utility bills need paid. Plus living expenses, employees, common area costs, etc.

Contracts are neccessary, I did it without for the same reasons everyone here is bringing up. I'll never do that again. Not knowing how the rent is going to get paid next month, people leaving for summer holidays, on and off students... its just not worth it.

When you start training their are costs to the school, many give you a uniform, a special intro offer, you need special attention since you don't know what to do which takes away from the other members. After a few months you become a benefit, but before that you are not.

If I am going to commit teaching you, I'd expect you to commit to learning. Now I don't think you should have to sign before you're allowed to start. Their should be some trial period. But if you want to do it don't get supprised when your asked to commit.

Andrew Green
http://innovativema.ca - All the top martial arts news!

BlueDragon1981
Red Belt
Red Belt

Styles: Goshin Jutsu Karate, Shotokan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2002 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not saying that contracts are the devil. I just say go for ones with many different levels and also to be sure you want to make the committment.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: