Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Raiden
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndrewGreen wrote:
Martial arts schools are still businesses, we need to opperate as a business otherwise the their won't be a business.

Nobody opens a school to get rich, but the bills still need to be paid. The landlord needs a contract, the phone company does, utility bills need paid. Plus living expenses, employees, common area costs, etc.

Contracts are neccessary, I did it without for the same reasons everyone here is bringing up. I'll never do that again. Not knowing how the rent is going to get paid next month, people leaving for summer holidays, on and off students... its just not worth it.

When you start training their are costs to the school, many give you a uniform, a special intro offer, you need special attention since you don't know what to do which takes away from the other members. After a few months you become a benefit, but before that you are not.

If I am going to commit teaching you, I'd expect you to commit to learning. Now I don't think you should have to sign before you're allowed to start. Their should be some trial period. But if you want to do it don't get supprised when your asked to commit.

Absolutely right. Alot of people are saying "don't sign" and that contracts are a bad. That's not always true. Bottom line, people are unreliable, period. Not everyone is a die hard martial artist who will show up no matter what. I agree with the trial period before signing up. Our dojo allows you 3 private lessons one on one before you even discuss contracts or fees. these private lessons are free. Now, back to what I was saying. People are very unreliable at times. Without contracts, people tend to quit or not show up. Some people are just sorry when it comes to paying for a service. I see this everyday in life.
I had 6 co-workers agree to meet up and play some video games on a network this past saturday. Everybody was pumped and excited. Guess how many showed up? 3 of us out of 7.... How many notified prior to the agreed time that they couldn't make it? answer=zero We didnt' hear excuses until the following monday. This wasn't a twice a week committment...this was a one time deal, yet they couldn't commit to it. Contracts take care of that problem. Not to mention, Instructors know they have X amount of dollars coming in, that way they can budget and pay their bills. I know that's the way I would want it. They are running a business, not a charity.

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already posted my opinion about this in another thread so I won't repeat it, but I do want to say that I agree with Andrew and Raiden (and others with like-mind). Ultimately it comes down to personal choice-I you don't like it, dont.

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think contracts are important for all the reasons everyone else has stated. however, a year is a long time. i'd make sure that you're provided with a way out in case you NEED one - like if you sustain an injury that will keep you from training, or if you get transferred to another job out of town and have to move. big stuff like that, not just "i don't feel like going anymore." you don't want to be stuck paying for lessons you CAN'T take.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: