Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Controlling Flowing Changing Adapting Techniques Reply with quote

Being versatile and spontaneous in using many techniques, unrehearsed effectively against an opponent, is in my mind to be something very useful indeed for any and all martial artists.

As with Chin Na practice, every technique has a counter movement which creates a good sense and feeling for the idea to adapt and change, using counterattack joint control flow.

With a wider scope than solely using locking techniques, by adding effective strikes and takedowns, the concept of close range combination while in motion, becomes with practice an increasingly effective and powerful approach to have and use.

This refinemen of combat in the clinch or trapping range does take time to put theories in to practice, that includes all types of martial art movements based on, simply, if it works use it.

My personal approach to convey this idea is similar to a game with some simple guide lines to use, such as:

1.) use the closer weapon to the target, which could all be possible within one movement of the same arm, such as fist, elbow, shoulder combination.

2.) don't wind up your strikes, be direct and to the point without telegraphing your intent in an instant.

3.) treat the entire body of the opponent as possible targets, as well as all of your own body as possible weapon.

4.) direct your opponent in to dead space with the intent to control the situation, using leverage, off balancing movement and gravity.

5.) when doing any type of technique, follow up immediately with another and another in a natural flow and manner, continually without hesitation.

6.) all offensive movements, should be made with confidence, conviction and resolve directly at the opponent, while simultaneously considering one's own defence.

7.) using feints, misleading hand movements and any other type of misinformation techniques should be kept to a minimum as directness and effectiveness could be compromised.

8.) be ahead of your opponent's reactions with your directness and quickness by processing information faster than it is possible to counter.

9.) use anything that is advantageous to gain the advantage, such as the clothing or hair of the opponent.

10.) pressure points, skin grabbing, throat, ears, eyes, nose, mouth, are all valid areas to attack including the groin area.

While practicing, there needs to be an understanding that this is cooperative based, instead of competitive, as each person is being attacked and countering for the purpose of learning the skills, so that they will eventually become second nature to each individual.

There is no set pattern for practing, only use the opponent's weakness to your advantage is the key to success.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a little further information about this aspect of combat, it might seem apparently clear that this is a very important part of self defence and also in becoming more of an all round fighter.

We as martial artists can devide up combat and sell them in neat little packages with labels that seem prestigious and important, but reality doesn't care on the contrary it can work against us if not careful.

Combining systems and not dividing is preferable for this purpose of practicing self preservation and protection.
For example.
https://youtu.be/9RHEuj__AwA

Practising in a way that is utilising everything you know against another person in the same way, is not perfect by all means, however it is on the right road to self discovery and of knowing others also.

While practicing with this training method, suggest pointing out weakness to each other that could have been exploited or pointing out a more effective move than what was just used, also missed opportunities are important, for example to strike should be noted and improved upon, usually these factors are overlooked due to not using the closer weapon to the target.

Controlling the opponent using pulling and pushing disruptive grabbing, to upset the opponent's balance simultaneously with strikes, limb destruction and or joint locking techniques, is often very difficult to defend against and is very effective, using knee pads is recommended as these motions done quickly, can bring a person crashing down on to their knees very hard, without much warning behind them.

This is a very useful method of practicing self defence scenarios starting from any angle or point and testing oneself on responses to them, as in what would you do in one situation or another.

Practing at half speed or quarter speed is good enough for beginners, as this is a way to think and move creating muscle memory and also becoming more aware and accustomed to the mechanics of movements used.

No two practice sessions can be repeated neither should they be, as on the spot creative problem solving is the way towards getting good at dealing with the unexpected opponents attacks and of course yours will develop with time and practice before long.

Here is something as close as I can find towards understanding this concept.

https://youtu.be/vZlMT3UeRJ4

Any questions?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just don't see the value, especially from the video, due to the patty cake that's taking place. Add a resistant opponent, then those turn outs would surely have a far different outcome.

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
I just don't see the value, especially from the video, due to the patty cake that's taking place. Add a resistant opponent, then those turn outs would surely have a far different outcome.

Imho!!

Values differ depending upon one person's appreciation than another. I like the party cake analogy, using a resistant partner in practice soon discourages people from playing a second time, this is why the partner is compliant for learning and safety purposes.

Imho!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its important to practice in levels of resistance. The first component of practice is drill. Drill the technique so that one knows it is being done the right way. Concentrate on specific cues in order to see the technique to completion. Once drilling has accomplished what it is designed to do, which is learning the technique, its important to add levels of resistance along the way. When drilling in the wrestling room, being a good partner and when drilling with around 50% resistance helps the other partner see the application in progress, and iron out any small issues the practitioner is having in execution. Wrestling live is where each partner attempts to complete the moves in real working order, reacting to the reactions of the partner along the way. This is when the practitioners start to learn how to chain movements together in order to make things happen, or see when things change and a new technique or tactic is needed. This can all be applied in the Martial Arts school, as well.

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Versatile martial arts"might be the best description for this topic and how to train or practice it this way.

Pre set drills can be helpful but also a hinderance as it can create a habit of not following through with a technique. Knowing this aspect, mind set must be correct when practicing and when for real; otherwise the patty cake effect if not careful in both training and for real would both lead to ineffectiveness all round.

Another concept beside doing a continuous cycling drill is called "walking the bridge" this idea is practiced by attacking the nearest target usually the hand and continually attacking further forward in to the opponent along the arm eventually targeting the face or body, using the opponent's arms like a railway line and yourself is the train, driving through destroying anything in its way.

There is a natural body flow of moving without hesitation from one move to another, when efficiency and the right speed work together, as there is no fast or slow, but only appropriate response to hitting the target.

In training with an opponent-student and if the situation becomes unrealistic, I switch to pressure and penetration of their defence and realistically control and seize them confidently without hesitation or delay.

Hopefully the opponent feels the essence of the idea and I give the other person the chance to do likewise to me, usually my responses after, is to tell them to be more forceful and more controlling, and yes I do get cuts and bruises from it due to practicing on concrete, as I always allow them to be more harder on me, than I with them; seems only fair, plus it instills confidence towards becoming effective maists in the process and hopefully in the future, if the need arises.

Patty cake vs Wing Chun.

https://youtu.be/B4hbP7Ns-y8

Patty cake drill for martial artists, try not to laugh!

https://youtu.be/FZVlwLluF4Y

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attacking and or controlling the opponent's balance while simultaneously maintaining one's own.

Sinking one's own body is called "song" and sensing the opponent's "ting" tension" are both worth investigating and practicing for any martial artist, which can be found in Tai Chi Chuan.

Song/releasing is similar to when a young child refuses to be held and relaxes, which can be very difficult for the parent to hold on to.

Ting/tension, is sensing the opponent's tension and if possible to increase it in them, making for a more tenser opponent, in doing so makes for a less effective combatant, by using set up actions, feints and misleading movement or strikes usually works best.

Further tips about training for this close combat fighting include using a type of "propreoceptive training" wobble board which can help with increasing one's e owns balance.

Grabbing pulling and jerking the opponent and palm pushing is very effective setbups, for making striking and locking techniques work.

Pushing and pulling a boat with the tide, is a term used in describing how to understand and unbalance your opponent, as depending which way they're leaning towards is your best option to propel them, also if your enemy is falling down a water well, then give him a rock.

Many martial art disciplines practice joint locking flow techniques and drills for gaining the upper hand for positions against opponent's, therefore becoming an effective maists, it would be wise to familiarise oneself with some of the basics of these effective methods of controlling the opponent effectively.

As this topic is about becoming an effective maist in the trapping range, then practicing and understanding trapping principles would be helpful and encouraged to be better informed on how useful it can work for you.

This topic is about becoming more aware, active and confident in the "close combat" trapping and clinching range, by using combinations of techniques, movements, concepts and principles that will improve your maist skills in an area that is not often discussed or practiced, due to the difficulty of systemizing its effectiveness as a style.

As there is the 1. Kicking/ foot range, 2. Punching/ hand range, 3. Trapping/clinching range. 4. Wrestling/grappling range, with many combat sports the trapping and clinching range is where the referee, ironically breaks up the fight!

https://youtu.be/ORcZD8qVuJ8

Longer version

https://youtu.be/Pp-vAbkISuk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: