Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Aurik! All that hard work is paying dividends!

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, aurik; I had no doubts whatsoever!! On and forward; train hard and train well!!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-robert-mitcham-fight-cancer

aurik
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'm sorta feeling like a white belt again. Okay, not quite.

This week I started learning the kata Seiryu, required for nidan. Like every rank kata we have, it has a couple of new sequences in it that still scramble my brain after a week of practice. It also doesn't help that when our regional director calls cadence for group kata, he tends to go extremely quickly. However, I also have 1.5-2 years to practice this kata before being tested on it, so I'm sure in a few weeks I should start getting comfortable with it.

I also started working what we call "10-point", which is the yakusoku kumite from a sister organization. It consists of 10 sequences which get more complex as you go on. I made it through the first 5 sequences and understand most of them... but again, it feels like drinking through a firehose again.

And last Saturday I started learning Seichin bunkai (kata required for brrown belt). This was not a requirement for those of us who earned their nikyu/ikkyu/shodan during the pandemic, but it is being re-introduced again. So now I get to learn it again. Fortunately after knowing our other bunkai, I was able to guess what most of the attacks/defenses were, but there are/were a few unexpected ones.

Lastly, on Saturday since the wife and mini-me were away for the weekend, I decided to do the trifecta aikido/karate/kobudo classes in sequence. Aikido was fun and re-triggered some old neural pathways. The Saturday karate class is always a fairly low-intensity class, so I was feeling pretty well before kobudo started.

And then I nearly died in kobudo. All I was learning was the bo kihons, but doing that for most of an hour was exhausting. ANd then we did about 10 minutes of sai kihons. Let me tell you, you don't realize how heavy sai can get until you work them over and over for 10+ minutes.

After the 3 hours of training, I just went home and crashed. Hard. Slept for about 2 hours and still was exhausted afterwards.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always refreshing to see some new material. Do you like the applications and how they work? That Saturday sounded like a really fun day of training!

aurik
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
It's always refreshing to see some new material. Do you like the applications and how they work? That Saturday sounded like a really fun day of training!

Yeah, the new material was a lot of fun to learn and the applications are pretty neat. We have one sequence that is repeated (almost) identically 3 times, and the application is very different from what I would have expected.

Saturday was really fun, but I don't think I'll be doing that again anytime soon. For one thing, I don't have the time to actively pursue 3 different martial arts, and the other thing is before I can do another 3 hour saturday again, I need to be in MUCH better shape. I think for now I'll focus on Aikido and Uechi-Ryu.

aurik
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my nafuda is up on the wall now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Page 18 of 18
Jump to: