Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy Birthday, aurik; your birthday party sound very fun!! Congrats on the new job!!

I always enjoy your updates; quite refreshing and give me a proud smile on my face. With you, I get to walk down my own memory lanes of the training, teaching, and learning when I was a Shodan.

Experiencing guest instructors and all. How I have tons of up and downs, mostly ups, but what's one to do?! Train!! Whenever our CI set the tone for the day whenever guest instructors were concerned, that was that, and we had better not embarrass him in any shape, way, and/or form...which we didn't...much. On the rare occasions that Soke and Dai-Soke were oversees, those training sessions under guest instructors of their choice were quite special because while the guest instructor was well versed in Shindokan, they also brought an eclectic flavor to those classes of all ranks, not just for the Dan ranks.

Sounds to me that you're learning how to run a class is swimming quite well. Teaching is special, and for me, the most rewarding thing about teaching is seeing the big smiles from student whenever they have one of their AHA moments. For me, nothing is more rewarding than that. You will have those moments as well, I've no doubt because not all black belts can teach, but what I've read about your MA journey is that YOU CAN TEACH!! When I first started to teach as a JBB, I was scared half to death and unsure, but under the very watchful eye of my Dai-Soke, I slowly casted away any thoughts of doubts and fears.

I love that fact that you're surrounded by some very capable instructors and black belts. Those varied points of views help to fill in many missing pieces, hence, you've had many of your own AHA moments yourself. The CI sets the tone of everything, and those that the CI has entrusted make sure that that tone is followed to the letter, but those different points of view add those tasty and effective pieces. So will you, whenever that time is right.

Shu Ha Ri is the name of the game and changes over and over and over as you establish more of your own knowledge and experience. Maturity of techniques will take quite a long time, but it's an endeavor to pursue endlessly.

I look forward to your next update!! Again, I'm very proud of you!!

Train hard and train well. Remember, proof is on the floor and the floor can never be fooled!

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-robert-mitcham-fight-cancer

aurik
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:

Experiencing guest instructors and all. How I have tons of up and downs, mostly ups, but what's one to do?! Train!! Whenever our CI set the tone for the day whenever guest instructors were concerned, that was that, and we had better not embarrass him in any shape, way, and/or form...which we didn't...much. On the rare occasions that Soke and Dai-Soke were oversees, those training sessions under guest instructors of their choice were quite special because while the guest instructor was well versed in Shindokan, they also brought an eclectic flavor to those classes of all ranks, not just for the Dan ranks.

I particularly enjoy guest instructors, because they present the material differently, and sometimes that different presentation will present an "a-ha" moment for you. For example, a couple of weeks ago, Kyoshi (aka our CI's father) was out of town, and one of our other instructors came in to teach the Aikido class. He hammered in the concept that your arm/shoulder is weak, but your hips and legs are strong, so if you basically lock your arm in place and let your hips/legs do the work, you have a LOT more power that way and can make things look really easy. I'm sure Kyoshi at some point has mentioned that, but he didn't say it in quite the same way and it just resonated in my brain.

I'm also reminded a couple of years ago when I would train with a group in the Bay Area who were a part of a different organization (same style). One of the instructors there introduced me to the ideas that "Uechi-Ryu is performed sitting down", and "every move is a kata". I still keep those thoughts in my mind as I train and I think they've helped me be a better karateka. Again, they're little nuggets here and there that when they incorporate with everything else you learn make a big difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19
Page 19 of 19
Jump to: