Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Cool stuff!!! Reply with quote

Here's an interview I found with a woman who beat my @$$ once.... http://www.roylergracie.com/articles/june13_danielle-schubert.html

And here's her instructor beating on my instructor - http://www.roylergracie.com/technique/aug06.html

Girls kick butt!

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GReat interview. It really shows you how effective technique is against size and strength. Particularly if your training 6 days a week! That always seems to be the "secret" doesn't it?

Also Royler's site looks pretty cool.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If only I had a car, maybe I'd be on the mats 6 days a week, then maybe I'd get my blue in only 8 months !
Girls kick butt!

The Authorita
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes/ I remember how funny it was seeing the 4 Gracies get their * kick so bad by Sakuraba. The funny thing is not only did he beat them at their own game but he also beat the hell out of them standing up. Case closed.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Authorita wrote:
Case closed.

Um, what case was that again? Sak is a great fighter, I'm a big fan....however I think the Gracies have done much better things instructing and spreading MMA and BJJ. A fighter can't influence many people. A teacher can.
Girls kick butt!

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you 360 roundhouse. Teachers like the GRacie family have a huge impact that carries on generations after they have gone.

On the other hand fighters like Sakuraba show that no matter how great the style or the fighter, there is always someone out there who has the effective counter. One of the attributes that Sak has that I think works against the Gracies so well is his sense of fun. He is the only fighter I have ever seen who makes the Gracies work harder than their opponent.
That comes as much from his playful attitude as it does from his incredible skill. Always before we had seen the relaxed Gracies letting their earnest opponents frustrate and wear themselves down before the submission. Sak takes that calm to a new level. Like Muhammad Ali he's not just calm, he seems to be in a state of joy when he fights(except against Vanderlai Silva).

We have gone a bit far afield of the topic but I just got all the Pride tapes and I've been looking at the Sak vs Gracie(s) fights. Wow.

three60roundhouse
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Punchdrunk wrote:

I just got all the Pride tapes

I'm too poor I have to go to video stores and pray that they have something. They only have UFC highlights Ground and pound like that is OK, but I prefer what others call "boring" - long technical grappling matches. Also, all the tapes they have at Blockbuster, you have to be 17 to rent them! Even if they are just fights, because of "extreme violence"....so you have to be 17 to rent fight vids but not "Striptease" because it's R rated Arg!
Girls kick butt!

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2002 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Old timers like me are too wrapped up in aches, pains , and tiger balm to remember how frustrating being a transitioning adult can be. My sympathy for ya sis.

If you can, you might try an online auction place. Sometimes you can get cool fights used for not much more than it would cost to rent them. Develope some shopping kung fu.

The Authorita
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes, that is very true the Gracies have done much more for Martial Arts in general. I would like to see some trainning videos or some of that sort put out by Sakuraba.

Punchdrunk
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Authorita,
Sak has both a training video and a novelty joke training video. i think they are both in Japanese. You can usually get them at an auction site relatively inexspensively. If you get them, let me know what you think.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: