Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a fruitcake post, but thats ok lol.

What is the correct way to kiyap? Some people just make the loudest noise they can so it sounds good. Others say that a specific letter of the alphabet is the best for Keying Up.
I tend to use a loud Ha, or a loud Ah!

Some people say that the letter S and the letter A can be louder and empty out more air from your gut!

Tell me what u think.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my Kaia's sound like "kee-ah" however a lot of people shout "day" or "ouss"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More important than the sound would be that you train yourself to use the lower abdomen do to the job.

I tend to use a Ha or He-ah the most.

ElliottG
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question ! How do you use your abdomen ? My instructor told me that it sounds like my kiyap is coming from my throat and not my voice, and that I sound uptight. So what sound would make me use my abdomen ?

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ....absolutely not a fruitcake post! Actually not too many people realize just how important this sound is for tkd students especially.
The kiyap is made...
*At the moment of impact of a technique, whether it be a block or an attack
*When absorbing blows to the abdomen
*At certain points while performing forums... failure to sound a strong kiyap at the appropriate place is regarded as an error.
*While free-sparring to signify a decisive technique. An attack without an accompanying kiyap is not is regarded as a strong, decisive technique
*Anytime you want to accentuate an action you are performing

The many sounds of kiyap are "E-eye" or variations of kiyap, such as "ya," "oh," "or-ya," "utzz," "kiyup," or "e-yup". The exact sound of the yell will vary from person to person. You should experiment to find the best sound for you. Staying with the standard kiyap sounds will keep you from saying something offensive in a foreign language. One famous Karate expert was well known for using the word "kusoh" for his kiyap...which means * in Japanese.
You sound "ki" at the start of a technique. When sounding "ki," you forcibly expel air using the diaphragm, which restricts airflow, increases air pressure within the lungs, and forces oxygen into the blood stream. This relaxes the body so all muscles may work together for maximum speed and power.
You sound "ai" at the moment of impact. During the execution of a technique, all your concentration and power is focused on the moment of impact and the sounding of the "ai." When sounding "ai," you release a burst of air from the lungs that relieves the increased pressure and tenses the entire body, especially the abdomen. With the abdomen tensed, the upper and lower body are solidly connected into one integral unit. This permits the body to transfer power from the legs to the point of contact and permits the body to transfer the reaction force quickly through the body to the ground and back to the point of impact before contact terminates.

After the "ai" is sounded, you continue with a normal exhale. This disconnects the upper and lower body, relaxes the entire body, and allows it to quickly return to the on-guard position.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-11-29 11:43 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2001 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Deby, thanks! Is there anything you don't know? lol, great stuff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...um yeah there are a few things ...really !!

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ... and check this out!! Here is something you can do this weekend if you get bored!

To see the way the kiyap connects the upper and lower body into an integral unit, try to perform a full-extension push-up. To perform the push-up:
Lie flat on your stomach on the floor.
Fully extend the arms in front of the head with the palms flat on the floor
Use the fingers to raise the hands up so they rest on just the extended fingertips
Fully extend the legs with the feet about a shoulder's width apart
Dig the toes into the floor so only the balls of the feet are supporting the legs
Now for the tough part, do a push-up on the fingertips and toes
Most people are unable to do a full-extension push-up the first few times they try. They push up the upper body and the lower body, but the abdomen stays on or near the floor. To see how a kiyap locks the upper and lower body into one cohesive unit, sound a forceful kiyap and tense the abdomen at the moment you attempt the push-up. Most people are now able to perform the push-up. ...check it out see if you can do it!

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet - that actually works!

Joecooke007
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually say something that sounds like HEEYAH!!! The letter h allows you to expell more air form your lungs and more power is put into your strike.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: