Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:36 pm    Post subject: Correct punching technique? Reply with quote

I always assumed we're supposed to hit with the first two knuckles ("seiken" in japanese), the way I was taught in karate.

Now in kickboxing I've been told to hit with the last 3 knuckles instead? (i.e. the pinky finger knuckle, the next one and the middle finger one)

Which one is the correct way?

Toptomcat
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Japanese and Korean karate systems, judo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either works, really. Orthodox boxing and most karate advocates hitting with the top two: Bruce Lee, Jack Dempsey, and a lot of other fine martial artists have advocated the bottom three. Hitting with the top two is arguably a little less natural, forcing very slightly inferior wrist alignment: hitting with the bottom three carries an increased risk of hitting with just the pinky knuckle, fracturing the metacarpal. Punch with the fist held horizontally and the top two make the most sense, punch with the fist held vertically and the bottom three often work better.

Kuma
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which one works best for you?

Do it that way.

joesteph
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that if striking to the face, the taller the opponent, if it's a horizontal fist, the likelihood of hitting with the fingers, just above the finger joints, goes up. If it's a vertical fist and it's against a taller opponent's face, the likelihood of hitting with the bottom three knuckles goes up.

If you do hit with the first two knuckles, be careful that it isn't really hitting with just the middle finger knuckle; too much pressure for just one to bear. If you do hit with the last three, the aim is to go by the ring finger knuckle, with the knuckles on either side automatically falling into place.

When I jab, I prefer the vertical fist. When it's a cross, my hand turns three-quarters. I've found that if it's a body shot, then it's easy for me to connect with the first two knuckles.

Jay
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer bottom three however its up to you I did top 2 for a while as well.

Just make sure that you hit with the knuckles rather than the fingers thats all. Alot of people don't isolate them from your fingers enough.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, it's Seiken!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: