Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
sensei8 wrote:
Congrats, Danielle on your successful on-line class. How do you think it went overall, and will you continue your in-line classes??

I'll be continuing it whilst we are in this situation. Its' keeping the kids especially engaged and the parents are appreciating it as it helps provide some structure to the week. Plus it keeps me focused with my own training.

Definitely challenging trying to teach when you cannot physically correct or engage with a student but if anything is forcing me to become better with how I verbally explain things.

It's funny because on KF over the years there have been many posts on whether online training can work, the Gracies have already done it to an extent with Gracie University, but the general consensus was that it was a horrible idea. I don't think it will ever replace direct instruction but having had to do this now I can see it having a place.

You've ever reasons to be proud of what you've done in this accomplished. Nothing is more rewarding then trying and succeeding in something new and alien, especially in the business world.

As to Devin's question, if it was me, I'd freeze payments because of the high possibility that due to the Covid-19 pandemic, many might not be earning a paycheck for whatever that reason(s) might be. Plus, I'd not have them pay for any months that the school was closed, as a Past-Due account. I'd just squash those months, and then go from there, as far as when their first payments might be due. I'm sure their other creditors will be chewing at the bit wanting their money too, and this is just me, MA lessons are a want and not a need, like food, electricity, and the like. Yes, a MA school is still a business, and all students still must pay to play.

Patrick
KF Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DWx wrote:
It's funny because on KF over the years there have been many posts on whether online training can work, the Gracies have already done it to an extent with Gracie University, but the general consensus was that it was a horrible idea. I don't think it will ever replace direct instruction but having had to do this now I can see it having a place.

Interesting callback and thought. You're right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
DWx wrote:

Yes, very interesting indeed. Something about necessity being the mother of invention? Or in this instance, innovation.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
DWx wrote:

Yes, very interesting indeed. Something about necessity being the mother of invention? Or in this instance, innovation.

In this regards, I don't like the idea because it can't, and shouldn't, ever replace the direct instructions. That's just me; stuck in the darn past. Remember, I still don't, and won't ever have a website for my dojo. Both ideas to me are so foreign to me...yeah, I know!!

I do see the value of them both wholeheartedly, and for those who utilize either of them with success, I'm not only envious, but I'm also proud of them being able to come out of the shadows of yesteryear.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
DWx wrote:

Yes it won't totally replace it as its near impossible to do any live or resistance drilling, and unless they are lucky to have someone else at home who trains its impossible to teach sparring. But as far as fundamentals, forms and basic sparring drills it works.

Honestly the biggest benefit is keeping that community feeling going. People will stick around the club longer, and will come back to it once COVID-19 is gone, if they feel part of a wider community. I'm making a conscious effort to try to include and connect with everyone as much as possible to keep them all going.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the Texas Governor has extended out Stay-At-Home until June 10th. With that in mind, I've extended my dojo's closing date to be in align with that order, and will decide if that's when I'll reopen.

Some of my students are getting quite itchy, and are under the impression that I'm succumbing to the pressure of unwarranted information and facts. My answer to that is this...

This is my dojo, and I'll not turn anyone's concerns into a political discussion. I've underlying conditions, and in that, I'll not succumb to risking myself. Patience is an underlying effect of any MAist on and off the floor; so exercise that with some severe diligence.

I'll not apologize for my decision. The dojo will be open when I say so, and not anytime sooner.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kansas has pretty well been released from any kind of quarantine and stay-at-home orders, leaving decisions up to county governments going forward, and for businesses to determine how to move forward in their best interests, and those of their customers.

I'm looking forward to finding out what our TKD school's plans are.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'll be some time before we can train fully again. Though on Monday we can now meet in groups of 6 as long as it is outdoors and we stay 2m away. Elite sport can do contact training in small groups and I know GB Taekwondo are back at it.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2020 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We a bit luckier here being an island nation at the end of the world, eliminated here if we keep the borders closed. Back to the dojo on Wednesday!!!!!

Spodo Komodo
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

Styles: Wado Ryu, Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a small group of what looked like Kung Fu students doing forms in the park this morning. I found a spot a way off to do my kata practice and we shared a friendly wave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5
Jump to: