Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: COVID-19 Coronavirus Reply with quote

So the UK is following in the footsteps of other European countries and Asian countries and taking steps to limit the spread of coronavirus.

It looks like we are creeping towards a total lockdown and from Friday all schools will close with many leisure facilities also closing. We're being advised to limit social contact and not meet in groups so like many martial arts schools I am going to have to shut down for the foreseeable future.

Any other instructors experiencing this? What are your plans? I'm hoping to live stream my classes or at least pre-record classes to release to students to keep them going but things aren't looking great and I expect to lose members in the long run.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school is shut down for the time being, as well. I'm really hoping this falls away quickly.

Fat Cobra
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Ryukyu Kempo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are shut down until at least mid-May. However, I use space in a gym on a US Army military installation, so I have to follow their rules.

I plan on working out some classes on Skype for my students once a week and assembling once a week, no touching, and keeping our social distance, for live classes at the park.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick has a similar thread...

https://www.karateforums.com/post562200.html#562200

Nationwide in the USA, even though it varies per local/state, businesses are closed or closing in record paces, and here's some of what we're already facing:

Schools are closed, can only gather no more than 10 people, restaurants only allow take-out/drive-thru/delivery, all major concerts/sports/entertainment venues are cancelled, stores have modified hours and limiting only 10 customers at any one time inside the store, movie theaters are closed, gyms are closed, flights are limited as to where you can fly internationally and some, but not all countries are allowed to fly into the USA, our Canada borders are closed except for essential travel.

I'm sure there's more that we're experiencing, but what I've posted right above might give you an general idea of what we're facing. No lock-down, as of yet, nationwide, but I'm sure the powers that be are seriously thinking about it.

I'm not doing any LiveStream or Skype or anything similar to that because I'm just not. After all, and this is just me being me, imho, the responsibility of training/practicing belongs to the students; time to step up by taking accountability of their own training. Let's not forget that dojo/dojang/etc class time is only just, perhaps, 25% of all the learning and training/practicing. The other 75% is done while the student isn't at the dojo/dojang/etc.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being a relatively new school I'm just concerned about drop off when we are able to get going again. At least I'm relatively safe in that I don't have a permanent venue and overheads. I only pay for what I use. I'm still going to rent off the dance school I currently hire and use the time to train myself, film my curriculum and maybe train small groups or one to ones.

Need to work out some lessons students can do in their own homes..

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school is completely shut down until the end of March. Over the next week or two, our CI is going to be setting up technical videos for us and arranging video sessions to conference with his students.

After next week, he's going to try to set things up so we can get one in-person class per week, so he can keep the numbers to 5-6 students per class. I spoke with one of the other dads here today when I was picking up some stuff from his restaurant (he JUST opened 2 months ago, ouch!) -- and we're thinking of seeing if he can/will do some private lessons, both to keep us in practice, and to help him stay above water.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Texas, in the USA, Dallas just ordered a lock down/shelter-in-place order. For the time being, Texas Governor Greg Abbott has decided that he'll hold off making the decision of an entire state order.

The Texas Tribune reports this...

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/03/22/texas-shelter-in-place-coronavirus-cases/

Quote:
Quote:
Dallas County's order, which was issued by County Judge Clay Jenkins, still allows for people to leave their homes for outdoor walks and to purchase necessary items like groceries. Businesses are also expected to close their doors, unless they provide essential functions. It will remain in effect until at least April 3.

Abbott said he was mostly "seeing good, aggressive compliance" with his previous order. But he emphasized he expects "full compliance" and listed penalties for failing to do so: fines up to $1,000, potential jail time of 180 days and mandatory quarantine orders.

As of March 22, there were at least 355 Covid-19 cases in Texas.

In Dallas, TX, there's an approximate 300+ MA schools that are affected one way or another presently. The precautions, imho, are practical as well as mature. As Spock one's said, of Star Trek lore...

“Logic clearly dictates that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.” Captain Kirk answers, “Or the one.

Harris County, where I live, in Houston, TX ordered a Stay-At-Home Tuesday afternoon, effective midnight, through April 3rd.

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those running online classes, what kind of content are you doing? I'm going to do my first one on Monday.

Am thinking to work on building up some punch combos and sparring combos as the weeks progress. Not a lot we can do regarding forms as most won't have much room at home (I definitely don't).

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think that a online class could cover Kata(s)/Form(s). Slow...regular speed...different angles. No Bunkai, that can be saved for when the school reopens.

However, Kata/Form classes would greatly benefit the students who might be having any difficulties remembering EXACTLY HOW THE KATA(S)/FORMS(S) should be. These classes online could cover segments/blocks of said Kata(s)/Form(s), possibly zooming in on a misunderstood and hard to grasp certain movement(s) found in said Kata(s)/Form(s) with, maybe, a wrist or foot movement(s).

One Kata/Form could cover a few days to a week, with reviews of what's been covered thus far; a highlight reel, for a lack of a better word.

In my dojo library, I've the complete video's of each and every Kata ever found/taught in Shindokan; students can check them out, but only Kata of their current rank, plus one. The only bad thing is that they have to be checked out and that they're at the dojo; I need to make them accessible online...however that is done.

Even though the dojo is closed for the time being, I still receive phone calls from students if they've any questions/concerns about anything. Surprising enough, I get a lot of technical questions from all ages and ranks, about anything Shindokan related, including Kata(s). I'll breakdown the technique(s) and its like so they can understand it, which I believe any good instructor should be able to do, and not just at the dojo/dojang, and if a instructor can't do that, well, not all black belts can teach...I know you, Danielle, most assuredly CAN!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our school is going to open classes back up on Monday for those who feel comfortable attending. They are adding an extra class time for our Little Lions, and are allowing attendees to wear a mask if they feel comfortable doing so.

They are also eliminating sparring and one-step/self-defense practice for the time being, in order to observe the 6 foot social distancing policy, and are keeping the limit at 10, counting the instructor.

We'll see how this goes, and what kind of reception it gets.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to: