Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed lately that I have been developing cramps in my legs and toes and stitches in my side during class. The cramps in my toes makes it so that I just stand there frozen in pain trying to bend my toes back to relieve the cramp. So I began to look for the answers to why this has been happening.

Cramping may be caused by metabolic deficiencies of calcium, magnesium, or potassium. Diet should include plenty of vitamins B6, C, and D. Choose leafy greens, broccoli, sprouts, tomatoes, wheat germ, sesame seeds, almonds, and green peppers. For potassium, include bananas, seeds, beans, and legumes. For magnesium, include seafood, nuts, and molasses. Try fresh carrot juice, which contains calcium lactate.
Here is a trick may athletes say works. Pinch the philtrum, the fleshy protrusion under your nose, over the top lip. Now won't I look funnier during class doing this!

Here is a tip used by many professional and high school coaches who say it words. To help prevent dehydration and cramps during a work out, drink pickle juice instead of sports drinks. Yuk! There is scientific proof that it works, but coaches and athletes swear it works.

For cramps in the feet or toes, point your toes upward and backward toward the knees, them release. For cramps in the calves or thighs, massage is best. For a cramp (stitch) in your side, regulate your breathing, striving for long, regular breaths of even intervals.

Jiggy9
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks KickChick, the information is really appreciated. Infact, I was just searching the net for information in cramps in the foot...

I am consistently the victim of vicous foot cramps when I'm the odd 20 meters underwater. It's funny, I cant remember the last time I went scuba diving without getting a cramp in my foot...not only that I also get the identical cramp on the same foot whenever I body board or go surfing. I guess I'll never really understand why, but youre post sure helps! So thanks again.

I've also heard that certain minerals in tonic water help to relax the bodies muscles...

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey no problem Jiggy... we were probably "surfing" side by side ... Yeah, it really is a nuisance having your toes seize up on you and your whole foot is just all contorted in pain. I've noticed it happening during the first couple minutes of class and then once I'm all warmed up it goes away.
I think what you might be thinking of is the "quinine" in tonic water. I know that it was suggested for Atkin's diet followers because of the depletion of this mineral in the diet due to the lowering of carb intake.

dreamer38f
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2002 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very informative Kickchick, thanks. I have always just associated cramps with lack of potassiam and fluids.

Love the nose solution...gonna have to turn my back in class one nite and try that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

SaiFightsMS
KF VIP

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu, Shi-to Ryu

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are other odd remedies I have heard of for muscle cramping. One for cramps in the foot or lower leg is to stand on a wet towel.

Runners stitches in the side- raise the arms while running.

Actually I find that staying sufficiently hydrated during very cold weather is a bit difficult. I have had to drink much more water than normal recently (it has been very cold out) to stay hydrated. Levels of water comparable to 90+ summer weather. It has been in the teens outside here.

I find hydration levels have a great effect on muscle cramping also.

Prodigy-Child
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes if i get a cramp in my stomach while running i flex my abs to take some of the pain away, doesnt take it all away but it makes it bareable

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well thanks KickChick that helps but I only get cramps on the side of my stomach nothing like in the toes

Well thanks for the info.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: