Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

glockmeister
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Haganah, Krav Maga, JKD, Kickboxing,BJJ, Judo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BJJ, in my opinion is one of those arts that you can cross train with just about anything and it will help. certainly it wouldn't hurt. except maybe in wrestling where fighting from your back is not really an option and staying off your back is key.

http://geshmacheyid.forumotion.com/f14-self-defense

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree wholeheartedly, cross training in it will help just about anything. I think it even compliments wrestling skills if one is past a competitive phase with wrestling where getting used to being on ones back would prove detrimental.

I've worked with wrestlers a bit in the past few years to get more comfortable with double and single legs and such. The two work together well.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found that the little bit that I have done here recently has been very helpful. I'd love to get to do it on a more regular basis, because I have never been a good ground fighter.

arcelt
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu, Aikido, Tae Kwon Do.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely agree that cross training BJJ with Goju will be beneficial. In fact, I can't imagine any MA that can't be supplemented with a solid grasp of ground fighting...I wish I had more of it myself.

wildman1717
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="glockmeister"]BJJ, in my opinion is one of those arts that you can cross train with just about anything and it will help. certainly it wouldn't hurt. except maybe in wrestling where fighting from your back is not really an option and staying off your back is key.[/quote]I agree also.

JAKEHE3078
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan, BJJ, Muay Thai, Judo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
Definalty go for it. It will only help you in the long run and give you another range option in a fight.

I take a slightly differnt apprach that JusticeZero to these things, respectfully, it's only my opinion. You've got a pretty good feel for Go-Ju by now as a purple belt, enought that you should understand the main concepts and principles of what you're doing. Once you've got some mat time under you, start interfacing the two. Figure out how you can best utilize the ground work into you overall gameplan for conflict resolution. It'll take some time, and you'll need to develop skill in the ground game first, but you'll find that the two should compliment each other pretty well.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. I have done Shotokan for the last 26 years, and have done BJJ since 2006 so I guess that makes 4 years now. If you learned Karate first believe it or not it really helps with BJJ, especially when it comes to positioning of the hips, and mechanics of driving from the mat, even posting. Trust me learning one will not interfere with what you learn in another, they are two different beasts. I don’t think I have ever thrown a reverse punch in BJJ, just like I have never tried to submit an opponent in karate with a Kimura. Just remember the uses are for two very different ranges and you’ll be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: