Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Coonaxus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm learning Hung-Ga and a good friend of mine is learning Capoeira. We have been talking about mixing the 2 arts. We don't exactly know how to go about it, though. I have been practicing Hung-Ga for about 3 years, and I still consider myself a beginner. My friend just started Capoeira a few months ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Particularly from anyone who knows about Capoeira. Thanks a lot

muaythaiposer
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2002 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's your motive for combining the two? i don't know too much about hung gar, but i know capoeira a little better. it's a cool idea about crosstraining, but only if you're not too biased with one (i.e. serious training). and how serious is this cross training? just for fun, fitness, awareness...?
i think your friend's couple months in capoeira isn't going to give you a good enough view of the art. they also have a belt system....so you can gauge what type of level you guys are capable of. and capoeira involves music... is that going to be incorporate?
think it through a little more if your serious, but if it's for fun, heck, go for it!
frankly, i don't think they're the most compatible arts.

Coonaxus
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2002 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, we've been talking about it for a long time even before he started capoeira he always had a love for it. And we know that it won't be any time soon, since he's still new to the art.
It's just for fun basically. I think music will be incorporated at least in the beginning. I don't know if it will remain as we progress since there most likely will not be music in an actual encounter. I don't think I will be biased towards hung ga, though. I think it will be pretty equal.
Just an idea really. We're still trying to learn our own individual styles first.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Kung Fu, JKD, Wing Chun, Tai Chi, and Chinese Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: