Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

nayku
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Curious where to start as an overweight person Reply with quote

Greetings Karateforums community.

As you can see I am a newbie here on the forums and after looking all over the internet for an active forum, I believe I have found my "home".

But I digress.

I am looking for a martial arts suited best for me, and I know there are others out there looking for an answer or at least some guidance as well.
When I say 'suited' I mean the best MA for someone overweight. Now I don't want this to be some huge arguement on who's opinion, is the correct opinion, I just want the facts and the reason behind your suggestions.
With this being said, I hope to get an unbiased opinion from whoever responds, and I greatly appreciate your efforts.

I am not interested in heavy grappeling MA what-so-ever. I think the furthest I would go would have to be Krav Maga, but even then, it's a little much.
I'm interested in heavy striking like Wing Chun, Western Boxing and so on.
The problem I am having is trying to figure out what MA or two MA's I could combined that have both striking with legs and arms. Another problem with me being overweight ( 6'2", 350lb+ ) is that it may have to be light on the joints starting out. I am top heavy as well. My legs are not short and my waist is not massive. I am just very top heavy, with thick thighs.

I have been doing my own research and was also hoping that I could get some input on what styles would be good. Possibly exercises to start doing in preparation for this. I am looking to mostly lose weight and learn self defense at the same time. Any help that has to do with exercises for my size, nutrition, opinions on styles, and amything else would be fantastic.

I have worked out in the past, but I let myself go a few years ago, and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

-NayKu

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there are many Martial Arts you can do. I am overweight myself and I have done karate and BJJ for many years now. You can lose weight really quickly from BJJ.

for weight loss MA, healthy diet and exercise will be beneficial to you.

Evil Dave
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum.

To start with I would visit the local MA clubs and get a feel of the place, check out the instructor(s), watch a couple of classes. Start with the styles you are interested in, but don't skip out on the others as something might prick your interest. Then decide on which club to join, not just which style to start with. Most clubs are fine with this approach, though some will still try the hard sell right away.

As to the you being overweight, that depends upon how overweight you are. It all comes down to your movement abilities, range of motion, getting down and up from the floor, etc. If you are very overweight I would recommend staying away from the grappling arts and stick to a stand-up art like karate, Tae Kwon Do, etc.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for making the decision, it can be very daunting walking into a Dojo where there may be very fit/thin people training hard, a good MA-ist will accept you and help you so if you get anything else then maybe keep looking.

I think choosing a good club should be more important to the style, I would pick Karate but then I may be bias...

Training when big may take a while, you will need to do cardio workouts to lose weight but this can impact your joints and can also make you hungry (could just be me...).

A good Sensei will start you off slow and gradually build you up, hopefully the interest will spur you on to train regularly and maybe more often. They should also advise to train at your own speed and only stretch to your own limits - all of this will gradually improve. They will also push you to push yourself.

Make a list and go and see, it would be polite to contact the instructor/clubs and ask if you can meet them and view a lesson, as said be careful to not sign up and pay a fortune as unfortunately these clubs exist. When you get there talk to the students, you will hopefully "know" when you get the right one.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, nayku!

I am of the opinion that, in general, the instructor makes more of a difference than the art or style. Based on your interests, I think that karate or Muay Thai would be better than boxing, since you mention wanting to strike with the legs. Some Chinese martial arts schools don't kick hardly at all, and some do, so that may be hit or miss. All that said, you may find a great boxing gym and decide that kicks aren't all that important to you .

Your best bet is going to be visiting schools in your area, watching some classes, talking to the instructors, and taking a couple trial classes. Do this at multiple schools before making your decision. A good instructor will be able to tailor your training to your limitations and skills, and you have to be sure you can get along with them. Good luck in your search!
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

danbong
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: cho hwa mo yang do

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting started is half the battle. As others have mentioned, the instructor will be more important than the style. The key issue is that he knows hor hard to push you so your general fitness improves but not push you too hard so your body breaks down.

And I would not even begin to think about doing a second style until you are proficient in the first.

nayku
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all very much for replying.

I was curious to whether or not there was some type of easy work outs any of you can suggest. Links work fine too. I have been walking a lot and stretching.

After reading through some more "how to choose your own" and other things. I may go with Muay Thai or American Boxing. It has the strikes I am personally looking for. I was wondering what other MA has low kicks. I know Muay Thai does.

Any other suggestions for working out, dieting, and MA suggestions for my weight would be great.

Thanks.

Wastelander
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shorin-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Judo, KishimotoDi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nayku wrote:
Thank you all very much for replying.

I was curious to whether or not there was some type of easy work outs any of you can suggest. Links work fine too. I have been walking a lot and stretching.

After reading through some more "how to choose your own" and other things. I may go with Muay Thai or American Boxing. It has the strikes I am personally looking for. I was wondering what other MA has low kicks. I know Muay Thai does.

Any other suggestions for working out, dieting, and MA suggestions for my weight would be great.

Thanks.

There is a lot of information in our Health, Training, and Fitness section of the forum: http://www.karateforums.com/health-training-and-fitness-vf19.html?sid=c36f5d0a8464654558b061987f5e6ae0

As for styles that include low kicks, you have a lot of options but they depend on the instructor. Traditional Okinawan karate styles, traditional Chinese styles, and Kyokushin karate (and its offshoots) include lots of low kicks, but some instructors favor them more than others. I've also seen some schools not use them at all.
Judo | 2007-2010: Gokyu | Sensei: Joe Walker (RIP), Ramon Rivera (RIP), Adrian Rivera
Illinois Practical Karate | International Neoclassical Karate Kobudo Society

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start visiting MA schools around where you live. When a MA gets your attention, then visit it some more to get an overall opinion of the different classes and all. Don't forget to write down some questions that you've thought about while visiting that school. Then, visit with the instructor. Many schools offer free trial lessons, but, be careful because not always what you see or experience in a free trail lesson will be exactly what you're going to be actually involved in. Be respectful, but ask as many questions as you want because it's better to know now instead of later.

Don't let weight and the like discourage you from taking the MA. Weight will come off, but it's a two way street. As you're losing the weight from being actively involved in the MA, you must also excercise and watch your diet, if dieting is what you want to do.

Good luck!!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check into the schools and gyms in your area, and see what is offered. Don't look at them in regards to your weight, but whether or not you like what you see, and if you will enjoy the classes. That is what is important. Perhaps something that offers good self-defense along with fitness training.

Once you find something you like, just start going to training. Don't worry about your weight affecting what style you want to study. Study what you want, and let the weight come off through training. And don't worry about doing any particular types of exercises prior to signing up; just got sign up and start training.

Best of luck, and welcome to KarateForums.com!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: