Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 11:16 pm    Post subject: Curriculum and Handbook Reply with quote

How many of you out there have a handbook that you give to students. What is in it? Is the curriculum in a book like a training manual? How is it accepted? Is it something that is given out at registration oris it optional?

granmasterchen
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my style it is something that is kept rather secretly and guarded only the advanced, black belts and senior members get their own copies,this forces the students to pay attention in class and remember and practice their skills at home.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my style, the official curriculum is available to everyone on several public websites (at least up to something like 3rd or 4th dan). No secrets there. New white belt students get a paper or two of some basic information about how the training is to be conducted and how to dress and behave in the dojo. That's about it. I'm not an instructor myself, but thought I'd chime in how it is done in my current karate school.

pvwingchun
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't have to be an instructor toreply would like to know how students feel also.

Kyokushin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, Chito-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my style we were all given a handbook after we'd been training for a few months or so. Just to make sure we were staying. It includes: Etiquette and Rules, History of style, some Philosophy, Notes on Kata, Grading Requirements, Terminology, Recommended Reading, Fees, and also a little on my instructor. It is really very thorough and it cuts down on a lot of questions that a student normally has to ask their instructor.

---The true essence of the Martial Way can only be realized through experience. Knowing this, learn never to fear its demands.
--- Mas. Oyama ---

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my old school our curriculum was always posted for all students to see and refer to. In my new school they give each student a handbook with the curriculum and grade requirements for eack rank. It also contains history and biography, etc. For teaching multiple rank classes I have used a set of cards on a ring, each card having the curriculum for each grade-color coded even (yes, that's pretty anal I'll admit it!!!) .

http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I give a few handouts like a list of the kata, Bio on Funakoshi, some terms, nothing they really need to know at that point but something to keep them excited because you know how all new students are. They can't wait till the next class.

CheekyMusician
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is a list of belt requirements for each belt at my club. I don't have a copy, but I saw a boy flicking through one the other day, so I'm guessing there is one.

As far as I know we have no handbook.

A list of grading requirements for each belt would be helpful, though. It would be handy to just flick through it and know what you need for the next test, rather than having to ask someone, or wait until the belt tests are coming around and you get to do a practice test.

ZR440
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Filipino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KSW has it's own text books that shows almost everything required. It's optional for students and a little expensive, but worth it for people who have bad memory. Like me.

Kirves
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In most dojos I've been to there's been some kind of info booklet.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: