Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:29 am    Post subject: Cutting weight; death of a fighter Reply with quote

I thought I would share this link: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439099/Weight-cutting-No-fight-is-worth-dying-over/

RIP.

This is a very tragic event. The epidemic of weight cutting has been in the news for years in regards to Wrestling, and even though steps have been taken to reduce its occurrence, it still happens, and probably always will. I have never heard if it is an issue of concern with national and international TKD competitions, but I can't imagine there isn't some weight cutting that goes on.

I don't know if there was some pre-existing condition that led to this incident or not, and I don't know when the last documented incident of death related to weight cutting happened. However, I do think it is a concern that deserves to be addressed.

Thoughts from those who have fought and worked to cut weight? What's the most you ever cut? How did you do it, and over what span of time?

DWx
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do & Yang family Tai Chi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight; death of a fighter Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
I thought I would share this link: http://www.mixedmartialarts.com/news/439099/Weight-cutting-No-fight-is-worth-dying-over/

RIP.

This is a very tragic event. The epidemic of weight cutting has been in the news for years in regards to Wrestling, and even though steps have been taken to reduce its occurrence, it still happens, and probably always will. I have never heard if it is an issue of concern with national and international TKD competitions, but I can't imagine there isn't some weight cutting that goes on.

I don't know if there was some pre-existing condition that led to this incident or not, and I don't know when the last documented incident of death related to weight cutting happened. However, I do think it is a concern that deserves to be addressed.

Thoughts from those who have fought and worked to cut weight? What's the most you ever cut? How did you do it, and over what span of time?

Sad story, RIP.

I compete internationally in TKD and it is an issue in our team. Fortunately for me I fight in the top weight division so personally it does not matter what I weigh however my team mates aren't so fortunate. When we go out to tournaments usually you will weigh in 1 or 2 days before the start of competition and even if you are 0.1 kg over your weight category, you have until the end of registration to weigh in under the bracket.

For some competitors this means practically starving themselves weeks before and even then as soon as we arrive at our hotel it's straight into the sauna fully clothed to sweat it out. I've known someone to cut near 5 kg in the space of few hours before.

TBH one of the issues we as a team face is that at ITF continental level and above, each country can only enter one competitor per weight category. Our best fighters all tend to naturally be in the same weight bracket so one or more people usually end up having to cut to drop down a category or risk not competing.

The thing is with weight categories is that you do have to have them to make fights fairer. A lightweight would understandably struggle to fight a super heavyweight. However it is artificial in a way as all it does is push people to go to extreme lengths and massively dehydrate themselves - weight which they put straight back on after weigh in. A fighter that has done this will also usually not have enough time to recover properly before fighting and will subsequently perform poorly. As a result I think the points that are mentioned in the article that the NCAA implemented for wrestling are positive things.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've spent time cutting weight. It really stinks, but can be done healthy to a degree. Likewise, it can obviously be done in a detrimental fashion.

The most I've cut has been about 21 pounds give or take. That's over a 3 week period. I've known fighters who have done the same amount much quicker.

The mma format that allows steep cuts followed by re hydration can really set some people up for dangerous situations. Conversely, IBJJF regulates weight cutting by making you weigh in just before you step on the mat. This means a much less drastic cut because you'll need to perform at the weight you're at, not what you can get back up to in 24 hours.

I think it's here to stay. Like it or not. The best thing we can do for fight athletes working under rule sets that allow them to cut hard and re hydrate is to make sure that they are doing it sensibly. This includes making sure that they are making good lifestyle choice thru the competitive cycle to stay at a naturally lower weight rather than ballooning up between bouts and then radically cutting down.

Aodhan
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: ATA TKD, WTF, Shotokan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it is a completely safe supplement, I wonder if creatine played any part in this. If you cut water weight sharply, one of the things that you do is increase the viscosity of the blood, and place a greater strain on the kidneys. This can be a contributing factor, IIRC there were some deaths attributed to creatine/cutting weight in the early days of creatine adoption by the masses.

John

-Douglas Everett, American hockey player

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, RIP, very sad story; thanks for sharing it.

I sincerely believe that any weight loss should be under the guidance of a doctor because, if one's not careful, something very serious might hapen.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it appears what it boils down to is trying to fight in a weight category that is the most beneficial for the fighter, and not making the right choices early enough to make the weight loss easier on the body. I'm guessing most people make weight, and then end up fighting several pounds heavier than they are at weigh-in. I personally wouldn't have the willpower to cut weight like that. I make an effort every year to help make sure my son is making good choices so he doesn't fluctuate weight during his wrestling season. Its not much of an issue now, but as he gets older, it could become one if we don't keep him focused and get him on the right track.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so sad to lose three men due to weight cutting. there should be no/little last minute bouts to stop this happening. And that athletes can make weight safely.

RIP you three. you left this world too early!

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem lies more in the lower levels of competition, for guys who are getting paid a lot of money, and have to work for a living, and train on the side. They don't get to schedule their days like the pros do, so I think that could be a big factor, as well.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone no or have experience with this problem with female competitors?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes, imho, peer pressure can make people do things that they know to be harmful to themselves because they want to be accepted and the like. Weight loss short-cuts and the like are birthed from trying to drop weight as quickly as possible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: