Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Dragon Warrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2001 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is a normal daily routine exercise for a martial artist?

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just about all serious martial artists include 3 or 4 main different things in their training, these are...

Resistance Training
Cardiovascular Training
Pylometric Training
Skill Training

I have not personally started in Pylometric training yet, I need to find out some more stuff myself before I safely start it, but basically over the week you should include 3 weightlifting sessions a week, daily runs or jogs, and practice skill as often as you can

Everyone trains differently though - some people on this board spend as much as 4 to 6 hours a day practicing and training, I spend about 1 or 2 hours and still get good improvements in strength, endurance, and skill.

I suppose you want an example of a routine. Now I know I seem to paste my routine an awful lot on these boards lately and I'm sorry everybody! but its only to help others ok?

What I do in a DAILY routine (Well, ok, I only practice the Skill part Monday and Wednesdays) is the following:

Warmup (5 min on bike, stretching)
Forms (Run through each twice, once slowly for precision and then quickly)

Then I have drawn myself up a big system of moves and combo's to practice, over the course of 3 months I add new, more complicated combinations (hand and hand, foot and foot, hand and foot). I've only just started this up myself so I'm just doing the basic 4 boxing punches and front kick at the moment, but every week I add a new set of combinations which slowly get more taxing. Anyway. then I do some of the above

And then 20 minutes on the Exercise Bike - 30 seconds fast as possible, a minute slow, a minute medium-fast.

That covers the Cardiovascular and Skill parts of training. on Tuesday Thursday and Saturday I do weights and stomach exercises, and 30 minutes on the bike. Thats thats the Resistance and Cardiovascular training.

I hope this has been helpful to you, I'm sure the other guys will come up with something more helpful than what I've put, but I wish you the best of luck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DragonWarrior....every martial artist is physically and mentally different. Traning goals are different ... but all four areas Jack mentioned I do believe are important.

Jack nice answer! .. each person may need to spend a little more time training in each area so personal routines may differ. For your age and what your goals are ... what I see as your routine is pretty much beneficial to your training.
I do believe howver you should train a little harder in your martial art discipline. Although you are a green belt (correct?) you should be working on more advance kicking other than front kick ...work on dynamic stretching with those kicks and then end with tension kicks ,,, reakky improves your speed and technique incredibly....good going Jack, you have acquired a good knowledge of what works for you. Remember, if it gets too easy, adjust your training accordingly.

[ This Message was edited by: KickChick on 2001-12-01 04:40 ]

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Deby, but just so you know I only started this programme the other day... don't worry I will be adding more kicks and kick combinations, in three months I'll be putting together Slipstep side kicks, side kicks, roundhouses, front kicks, along with various hand techniques in combinations. I'm just starting easy and building up

however, one thing "...work on dynamic stretching with those kicks and then end with tension kicks" how excactly do you mean? Start with doing the kicks relaxed, going for height, and then start doing them more quickly?

Thanks for all of the compliments
Jack
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Dragon Warrior
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks alot Jack! That was exactly what I wanted to know.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem Dragon Warrior, just glad I could help
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Health and Fitness All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: