Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey-- for some adults karate is the only real socialization they get outside of work. And take into consideration you're meeting people with a built in common interest and I think it makes sense that people will find each other through MA classes. In fact, on dating sites, taking classes to find someone with a common interest is usually one of the tips.

quinteros1963
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Okinawan Martial Arts (Goju Ryu & Shotokan)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be careful! If things don't work out it will be ackward after breaking up. You definitely don't want to date multiples in the same club as you will get an unwanted reputation.
The past is no more; the future is yet to come. Nothing exist except for the here and now. Our grand business is not to see what lies dimly at a distance, but to do what's clearly is clearly at hand...Lets continue to train!

Canadian77
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kind of thing I'm sure happens in any place where people come together. I'm pleased with the dynamic at my dojo though. I have seen maybe some very minor flirting among the teens before and after class, but during class it is all about the karate, and people seem properly focused. The director is married and does not display any inappropriate behaviour at all. He sets a good tone for a fun but focused class.

As far as relationships within the dojo, I think it probably could work, but people would have to be mindful of the complications.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as much as i am against people dating in school, but as long as it doesn't affect their training (or interrupt others) when they break up or stay together i don't care.

But i have noticed that there are some people that i have seen in class that i think that would be cute together. has anyone else seen this?

FangPwnsAll7
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't get involved with dating at my karate school. I like one of the black belts that goes to my old dojo, but I don't think he likes me.

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
But i have noticed that there are some people that i have seen in class that i think that would be cute together. has anyone else seen this?

I have seen that. These two kids have a crush on each other and I think it's kind of cute.

tangsoomomma
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Tang Soo Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'm one of the exceptions. My instructor and I began dating and we have been married almost 2 years!

IcemanSK
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Taekwondo Chung Do Kwan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know there are exceptions that work out well. I've trained under 2 husband/wife teams in my 30+ years of training. However, I personally wouldn't want to risk the discomfort of a break up at the training hall. I'd recommend folks not date within the MA classroom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24
Page 24 of 24
Jump to: