Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bad ego-trip to me. Moreover, it feels like an overcompensation. Perhaps this person was overly rough with his students, and his justification of this behavior is that his techniques are "too deadly" for the common lay-person. He started losing students and this is how he comforts himself.

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching in a small places to a select few is not a great idea if the goal is to make money much les make a living of it. Would it not make more sense to be open to try to attract as many potential paying students if that were a priority?

Perhaps the instructor is truly dedicated to teaching only the most serious kind of student and also feels that restricting teaching allows more control on what kind of people are least likely to misuse what they learn. This is an old fashioned ideal, but there are still a few instructors who feel so much responsibility that they will only teach those who have the right character and can be trusted.

Bulltahr
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe he trained under Count Dante???
Well, as long as he believes it...............

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's Kancho of the style that he founded; no idea of his MA background, other than this.

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
Teaching in a small places to a select few is not a great idea if the goal is to make money much les make a living of it. Would it not make more sense to be open to try to attract as many potential paying students if that were a priority?

Perhaps the instructor is truly dedicated to teaching only the most serious kind of student and also feels that restricting teaching allows more control on what kind of people are least likely to misuse what they learn. This is an old fashioned ideal, but there are still a few instructors who feel so much responsibility that they will only teach those who have the right character and can be trusted.

The second kind are the ones I look for. If making money is the goal, I'm kinda put off by the school from the jump.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
He's Kancho of the style that he founded; no idea of his MA background, other than this.

Kancho! I just turned 12 again...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanch%C5%8D

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

LOL!!

Kancho, depending on the Governing Body, means Head of the Style or President of the Governing Body or the Founder of the Style or whatever else.

We use Kancho as our title for being the elected Vice-President of our Governing Body (SKKA), and Kaicho as our title for being the elected President of same Governing Body (SKKA).

MatsuShinshii
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Machimura Suidi Rokudan, Ryukyu Kenpo, Kobudo, Judo

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All MA's are deadly. As a rule of thumb the majority of MA's were originally invented as an empty hand method of combat. Loose your sword or spear, grapple and strike.

Most that state their MA is deadly as if others just trying to infer their art is somehow better or more efficient than any other MA.

Having said that there is something to be said about an instructors responsibility in teaching the MA's. If employed correctly there are techniques that will kill. In understanding that as instructors it is our responsibility to pass this knowledge on responsibly. Meaning if your student is a psychopath you probably shouldn't teach them that if you do this it will crush the trachea or if you do this it will cause a hemorrhage in the brain and the person will die. Why? Because you know they will leave class and look for someone to try it on.

I understand the need to find "worthy students" that you can teach your art. Having to say it's "deadly" to attract students is redundancy. Of course it's deadly. It was created to kill enemy combatants when one lost their weapon or were disarmed. Um, hello Mr. obvious, comes to mind.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MatsuShinshii wrote:
All MA's are deadly. As a rule of thumb the majority of MA's were originally invented as an empty hand method of combat. Loose your sword or spear, grapple and strike.

Most that state their MA is deadly as if others just trying to infer their art is somehow better or more efficient than any other MA.

Having said that there is something to be said about an instructors responsibility in teaching the MA's. If employed correctly there are techniques that will kill. In understanding that as instructors it is our responsibility to pass this knowledge on responsibly. Meaning if your student is a psychopath you probably shouldn't teach them that if you do this it will crush the trachea or if you do this it will cause a hemorrhage in the brain and the person will die. Why? Because you know they will leave class and look for someone to try it on.

I understand the need to find "worthy students" that you can teach your art. Having to say it's "deadly" to attract students is redundancy. Of course it's deadly. It was created to kill enemy combatants when one lost their weapon or were disarmed. Um, hello Mr. obvious, comes to mind.

To be deadly, one better be effective first, and foremost. Well intended actions are empty gestures to an determined attacker.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Maybe that’s why some people use Kaicho instead?

I’ll never read or hear the term Kancho the same way again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: