Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Deadly!?!? Reply with quote

I was just reading where a MAist instructor has closed the doors of his school, and is now teaching out of his home dojo to a select few. He's a very strict screening process, which he points out, can't be done in a public dojo because he teaches a MA "that is very deadly", in which, he's afraid what he's teaching might end up in the wrong hands. He feels quite responsible in making sure that this deadly art stays out of the wrong hands.

That's fine!!

The term "I teach a MA that is very deadly" has always struck me as quite arrogant and such.

Is it a marketing tool? Maybe!!

Is it reality? Maybe!!

Isn't the MA, every single MA on the planet, if done effectively, deadly??

Why is his MA more deadly than the rest??

If a MA IS deadly, than why ever mention it to anyone in any shape, way, and/or form?? For the "Oh's and ah's"??

Yeah, I suppose I need to get over myself because it's not that important...but whenever I hear that, I raise my eyes and my ears and shout...

Good Grief Charlie Brown!!

Deadly!?!? Hhhmmmmm...

Lupin1
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Isshinryu

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say it's a marketing thing.

My old instructor used to like to tell us certain moves were "deadly". It always made me smile a bit. I think "deadly" is in the practitioner. Humans are fairly fragile. Most people-- even untrained people-- have the physical ability to kill. They just lack the mental ability. Good people generally don't want to kill. It takes a lot to overcome that when necessity warrants it.

I know I could physically kill someone pretty easily with the martial arts I know. I wonder, though, if I'd have the mental resolve to actually do it. I pray I never have to find out.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's worse than a marketing thing. I think it's a lie. Not necessarily a lie to others, but a lie to ones self.

As has already been said, every martial art is potentially deadly. But then so is every act of aggression or panic, trained or not. There are plenty of stories of untrained thugs killing innocent people with a single untrained punch.

And why close the doors to the public? My guess would be to lock out the open minded skeptics that might quite reasonably look at what is being taught with open eyes.

A few years ago, it was easy for martial arts teachers to tell massive fat lies. Tradition had it that you respect your teacher like some kind of god, for absolutely no other reason than that he was the teacher. Nobody cross trained, and there was very little interaction with other styles. It was perfect for anyone that wanted to make you sign an oath of secrecy and commitment to only use what you'd learned in genuine defence of life and limb. Don't even show your best friend and all that.

Nowadays of course martial arts are laid bare. We can pick and choose. We can switch styles on a whim. We can talk freely to practitioners of other styles. Time to close the doors if you're teaching rubbish.

JazzKicker
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Hapkido, JKD, TSD

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! He just couldn't afford the rent with fewer students.

I've been reading a book about karate on Okinawa, pre WWII and before. There are stories about some instructors being selective about students because of safety, and a few stories of impetuous men getting killed in fights.

One story was a master who was provoked into a fight, kicked his assailant with his big toe on a vital point under his nipple- the guy died a couple of days later.

It may have actually happened, who knows. But I believe most fights result in bumps, bruises, maybe a concussion or broken bone. But fatalities are rare and just as likely to be unintentional.

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be the equivalent of holding your pistol sideways.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if it's NOT a marketing tool??

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LLLEARNER wrote:
It might be the equivalent of holding your pistol sideways.

Great analogy!

It could sorta be marketing, but I suspect it's more of a "testosterone poisoning" situation here.

People who think their martial art is particularly "deadly" probably think these things are practical, and are only likely to get themselves hurt.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds way to ninja-esque and cult-like to me. Or just plain delusional.

More likely he’s lost a lot of students and wants to save face by coming up with a nonsensical justification to what he’s doing.

Trailer_Ape
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Funky and Fresh

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, never drank the Kool Aid on the "deadly" techniques. Obviously some techniques are more destructive and, if teaching kids, I think it is important to instill some judgment in them so 2nd graders aren't spear handing their classmates in the eye for pushing them on the playground.

I will say this - I could accept calling a complete training regiment "deadly" but I mean taking a person and going through: cardio, strength training, body and mental condition and coupling that with the most destructive techniques. I believe you could make the PRACTITIONER "deadly" and YES I'd be very careful creating true killers. Beyond that, nah I don't buy it. Sorry but the out of shape guy who trains "deadly" techniques once a week, and never actually works out (running, weights, etc) is nowhere near as "deadly" as someone who trains (even sport oriented) Muay Thai 4 days a week and hits the w8 pile when he/she isn't at class. (Imho) that's reality.

ETA - this is important: that doesn't mean you can't acquire some valuable "tools" from the guy teaching the "deadly" art. Seriously.

Last edited by Trailer_Ape on Sun May 27, 2018 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

LLLEARNER
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer_Ape wrote:
Yea, never drank the Kool Aid on the "deadly" techniques. Obviously some techniques are more destructive and, if teaching kids, I think it is important to instill some judgment in them so 2nd graders aren't spear handing their classmates in the eye for pushing them on the playground.

A jodan uke under the chin seems more appropriate.

"Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens." ~ Jigaro Kano
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: