Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

MaxMarks
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kempo/JuJitsu/Grapling/Kick Boxing

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure if I entertain myself when I write them I've got a good chance of entertain one or two of the readers. My next post with be a much straighter shot... a personal story. I hope you keep coming back to read them.
The mission of my blog is to explore the connection between the skills learned in the dojo as a student of the martial arts and the skills that lead to a successful life. www.lifeskillsfromthedojo.com
www.facebook.com/lifeskillsfromthedojo

MasterPain
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Backyard Kali, Satsui no Hadou

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
This is an excellent find Justice, and a nice breakdown on things we can learn from it. It's the kind of thing that should get us all evaluating our positions each time something like this hits the news.

First and foremost, I agree with everything you brought up in your points. Everyone should answer each of these. And given that we're all different with different attributes to bring to the table the answer should be different for each of us.

Let me add briefly two your last two points, the first, that negotiation will not be an option if the bad guys is on a different planet than you is totally true. And, despite the common sense of it, often overlooked by a vast number of people. Even martial artist. This is largely due to the fact that we interact daily with reasonable, if sometimes irritating, human beings. And most people have kind of unknowingly decided to live in a civilized society and abide by certain standards. This leaves those who, for whatever reason, outside of this social contract somewhat of an unknown factor for most people who have little experience dealing with them. Everyone needs to accept the fact that there are people who will not listen to reason. One must be prepared to act in these cases and commit to the best course of action you can see without reservation.

Lastly, that emotionally one has to prepare for whatever level of force they are prepared to use. Grossman points out that if we never mentally accept that we might kill someone we will be devastated when we do. Preparing before hand goes (according to reputable research) a great distance to preventing PTSD. This does not mean that it won't occur, just that you can lessen it's effects of avoid it altogether in some cases. I'm a firearms advocate, but if you're not willing to drop the hammer, it's better to not have one at all. If you do have one, I'm also a big advocate of training with it so you'll effectively deploy it.

I would caution that fearing for the health of the home invader might have worked out this time, but won't always. This is a man who is beyond reason and threatening not just you, but your family in your home. To me, he is the invader. He will receive no such quarter. If I fail to win the conflict in my home, what are my wife and kids supposed to do?

So, I'll accept that I may very well kill this guy, in my case I will likely deploy a firearm to meet the threat if given time. I'll use a blade to cut my way to a firearm if the threat has gotten to close to immediately access my weapons. I'll continue to practice to do both and retrieve each from where I sleep and hang out in my home. I'll further take the common sense approach (but often overlooked more than the others for many people) of keeping my doors locked AT ALL TIMES. Even when I'm home. This creates time for me to get to advantageous weapons while a home invader has to force his way in. Too many people leave their doors open while they are home, this just puts you behind the curve should this guy show up while you're in front of the television.

Again, great find and great points to bring out.

Sorry about the thread derail, everyone. Back on topic. These were all good points. A locked door won't keep a serious person out, but it does buy time. I'd guess about 10 seconds. Just long enough to arm yourself, IF you have the mentality to do so.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually another point that I saw in review.
Quote:
Girdwood Fire Chief William Chadwick, Laufer's next-door neighbor, said he was up waiting for his son to get home from work..
Chadwick radioed 911 dispatchers and his fellow firefighters, and ran to Laufer's cabin with the other neighbor.

So.. do YOU know who lives close to you? That seems like they had about the best neighbor they could have hoped for in the situation. Does one of your neighbors not even have a phone and live alone in a wheelchair? Probably not the best person to go to for help. The one on the other side of you might be a doctor or something. KNOW WHO LIVES CLOSE BY.

Also, if something does happen? IT MIGHT NOT BE TO YOU. You might be the one who finds themself being come to for help. Do you have a plan for how to intervene in someone else's emergency?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: