Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to defend against a knife attack??? How likely is it to be attack by an knife-attacker or am I mainly paronoid. Does anyone practice defending knife attackers? I believe there should be a knife kata invented for the modern days. In the old days, maybe a nunchuk or sai was effective, but who carries around a nunchuck or sai nowadays. Plus the weapons belonged to a different culture. Is there any martial arts stlye that has adapted to modern ages?
"It is better to speak, than to keep silent. Better to agrue, than to be bitter."

Phantasmatic
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu, Shorei-Ryu, Shuri-Ryu, Kobudo, Judo, Shin-Kage Ryu

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"No one really knows they are in a knife fight until there is a piece of metal jabbed into them" (Shihan Joseph Walker, Academy of Okinawan Karate)

SBN Doug
KF VIP

Styles: Kuk Sool Won

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We do train in empty handed defense against knife attacks.

However, if I had ample notice, I'd probably use the 100 yrd sprint defense.

Bon
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: BJJ, Kickboxing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done some very breif knife training, with a stick being used as the knife. Most people who pull a knife on you are only going to be thinking with one weapon, the knife. You have your fists, elbows, knees, feet, head. Never forget that. Also, if you end up with a knife in a fight, don't just think with the knife, use something like your feet as a distraction so you can do some damage with the knife!

There are always two choices, two paths to take. One is easy. And its only reward is that it's easy.

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been doing been doing the same empty handed defense against knife attacks during the last portion of our class time.... but I'd be behind KSN Doug following his lead. c'ya!!!!!

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We practise knife defence an awful lot. I believe its a very important issue.

We use wooden knives for safety purposes but attack like its real

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-12 10:24, Phantasmatic wrote:
"No one really knows they are in a knife fight until there is a piece of metal jabbed into them" (Shihan Joseph Walker, Academy of Okinawan Karate)

Okay - I won't be going to his knife class. Not a helpful comment IMO.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace: Moy Yat Sifu

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use of the knife & defence against it, both armed & unarmed, is the core of the Doce Parers Eskrima system that I teach and an important element of every Filipino Martial Art that I have experienced.

This is the one area that I have seen the most * about in martial arts. Myths abound about the use of & defence from the knife. Maybe we could discuss these myths. I warn you though - things can get pretty "heated" with topics like this. Later today I will start a thread on the Weapons forum for this subject. We will examine one "Myth" at a time - some will be easy to deal with, others may prompt more debate. Debate is good

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)

Shaolin
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-12 09:52, [CT]pizzaboy wrote:
How to defend against a knife attack??? How likely is it to be attack by an knife-attacker or am I mainly paronoid. Does anyone practice defending knife attackers? I believe there should be a knife kata invented for the modern days. In the old days, maybe a nunchuk or sai was effective, but who carries around a nunchuck or sai nowadays. Plus the weapons belonged to a different culture. Is there any martial arts stlye that has adapted to modern ages?
"It is better to speak, than to keep silent. Better to agrue, than to be bitter."

I've always been partial to a defense I've seen from, I think, Paul Vunak years ago. He uses a longest weapon to nearest target intercept and stop hit in the form of a nice low JKD side kick to take the guy down at the knee. YODA what say you?

Although I've trained to defend against an attack with my Wing Chun I feel better staying away from the blade if I can.

Jim

Moy Yat Ving Tsun

Rest in peace dear teacher, dear friend, dear brother, and dear father: Moy Yat Sifu

[ This Message was edited by: Shaolin on 2002-03-13 01:09 ]

YODA
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......... Just wanna add that I agree with the sentiments of some of the above posts. i.e. First line defense against a knife is the same martial art that Linford Christie is master of. RUN-FU

That is, of course, if you've made sure it is safe to do so. Quite often "just running" can lead to "just dying" - are you sure you can outrun your attacker? Are you fit enough? Also consider this - I witnessed a "self defence" class recently taught by a Black belt in a very popular mainstream oriental art - his advise when asked about an attaker with a knife was - "Knife defese is easy - just run". He was teaching a class of out of shape lady pensioners - 70 years old and over. Same goes for someone in a wheelchair - running is not always an option.

I'm getting carried away - I'll wait for the "myths" post.

(My wife says I should be carried away!)

Qualified Fitness Instructor (Weights, CV, Circuit, Kinesiology)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Martial Arts Weapons All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: