Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Define serious training/practise Reply with quote

Many discussions about martial arts raise the idea of “serious” versus “casual” practitioners. What really defines a serious practitioner of martial arts? Is it the number of hours per day or week? Does “serious” only apply to those who run a school or compete? What is YOUR definition?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very noticed and marked improvement over time through their mature approach to their training/practice.

OneKickWonder
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Tang soo do

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone who doesn't just accept what they're told as the best all and end all, but rather takes what they've been taught and practices it, including in their own time, and tries to visualise it's use, and tries to understand it's broad range of applications.

Someone who uses every training opportunity not to show how cool they are, but instead to figure out what needs more work next.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Serious training is when someone is training hard and putting forth a high effort rather than just going through the motions.

Go to a gym and watch people on an exercise bike. Some are reading a magazine or watching tv. Others are actually sweating and putting in work. Same difference.

Spartacus Maximus
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shorin ryu

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to see that nobody has mentioned time spent training and practising. How much does it really count?

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sensei8 wrote:
A very noticed and marked improvement over time through their mature approach to their training/practice.

I think this is a pretty good way of looking at it. Somebody can be very serious about their training and yet not be very talented.

Spartacus Maximus wrote:
It is interesting to see that nobody has mentioned time spent training and practising. How much does it really count?

This can be a tough one. There are a lot of people who can't dedicate as much of their time as they would like to their training. Yet when they do train, they take it very seriously and work hard at improving. I think that person could still be considered a serious Martial Artist.

JR 137
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Seido Juku

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

I think this is a pretty good way of looking at it. Somebody can be very serious about their training and yet not be very talented.

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

This can be a tough one. There are a lot of people who can't dedicate as much of their time as they would like to their training. Yet when they do train, they take it very seriously and work hard at improving. I think that person could still be considered a serious Martial Artist.

I only get to the dojo twice a week, for 2.5 hours total. But when I’m there, it’s definitely not casual.

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JR 137 wrote:
bushido_man96 wrote:
sensei8 wrote:

Spartacus Maximus wrote:

I only get to the dojo twice a week, for 2.5 hours total. But when I’m there, it’s definitely not casual.
I'm with ya there. I get two classes in a week right now, and one of those is spent teaching, so I don't get much of a workout in.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like it is someone who questions what they are doing and improving.

Himokiri Karate
Member of the Month
Member of the Month

Styles: Boxing, Korean Karate

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answers and truth is, there is different deminison to a persons seriousness towards training. From what I have experienced that distinguishes the casuals vs the serious are:

Casuals:

- Weight loss/fitness

- Fan of the martial arts

- Looking for an activity and they found martial arts

Serious:

- Cares deeply about every small movement in their form/technique

- Studies the movements and history of the martial art style that they are practicing

- Serious effort to reach the pinnacle of that art in combat or technical/physical mastery

Now its hard to say how many days. Myself, when I was a casual boxing fan. I was training 5 times a week because I had the time. This schedule seems like it would make me a serious trainee but fact of the matter is, I was hitting the bag and being fit but there was no internal dialogue or real passion for the moves that I was practicing.

Then I fell in love with boxing but could not train everyday because I was helping family business. So I could only train 3 times a week but I was so madly in love with the boxing footwork/martial arts movement that I was practicing it at home late at night. I remember improving during the 3 times a week training because the passion and internal dialogue and conscious attention to details was there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: