Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Eye of the Tiger
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 7:30 am    Post subject: Defining Karate Styles Reply with quote

I made this post so we can all add are knowledge which hopefully could be added as a forum which gives a good definition on each style of Karate and then onto all the Martial Arts.
I'l start by adding my Knowledge on Goju Ryu

Goju Ryu- Concentrates on strebgh and conditioning rather than speed and technical prowress. More circular movements with a combination of throws and all round 'hard' style of techniques so to use the whole body as a weopens. 12 Katas.

Please add even if it has already been coverd but if about 10 people have already coverd shotokan for example try to define another style of Karate.

LeaF
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju Ryu Karate-do and Okinawan Kobudo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and all round 'hard' style of techniques

This is incorrect, Goju literally means hard, soft. Both the hard and soft characteristics are present inpretty much everything that is done, you will see this more once you learn some of the more advanced katas Eye. I do also believe that speed and technique are just as present as strenght and conditioning, it is all about balence

I AM CANADIAN

Xtreme Fury
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i posted this on my other enshin thread. im not sure if everything is correct though. im planning to take it soon but i havent started yet so i dont know much.

-Circular moves
-lots of conditioning, full contact sparring
-Has throwing, knees, elbows, punches, kicks, sweeps, blocks and maybe jointlocks?
-Doesn't believe in meeting force with force, but instead when someone punches you move away to the "blind spot" of the attacker and attack fom there.
-It's based off of ashihara(sp?) karate. ashihara was made by a student of mas oyama. It's similar to kyokushin i think, focuses a lot on sparring and has some aikido principles.

Xtreme Fury
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry i dont think enshin has anythin to do with ashihara. I think enshin is just based off of kyokushin, but with changes. but the internet has a lot of weird info, all i know is enshin has somethin to do with kyokushin lol.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: