Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 7:57 am    Post subject: Demo Team Reply with quote

We are putting a demo team together. I would appreciate any ideas for routines, uniforms, how you recognize demo team members, etc.

Thanks for the input!

ninjanurse
KF VIP

Styles: TKD;Shotokan;JuJitsu;Tai Ji

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh! A demo team can be a wonderful thing, not only for the school but for the members too! I have seen many average students get inspired and
become more focused-just from getting a chance to try out!!

I suggest having an application process for all students which can include an essay on why they want to join and a well built up try-out. This gives you some insight into where they are mentally, and who they are personally. A committment to a demo team requires just that...committment. Hours of practice, demanding schedules, higher expectations in the classroom , etc. all create both opportunities for success and failure. You have to be on top of it all the time...But don't forget to have some fun!!!!

Special uniforms give students an incentive to work hard and try out for the team. They can also be a great advertising tool for your program. Don't get too fancy though...you still want to look like martial artists not acrobats right?

As far as routines here is a basic format for a demo:
1) Some kind of introductory form-just made for the team or parts of required forms. A team form is very impressive. Make sure the entrance is exciting.
2) Break into a kicking routine of some kind-give all members a chance to show off. We do alternating across the demo area from 4 corners.
3) Have two or three members do special open forms or weapons forms they have been working on (not too long-can just do partial form)
4) Next do a self defense set with 1 on 1, 2 on 1, boys versus girls, whatever! Curriculum one steps are good for lesser skilled members, open sets for advanced students.
5) Next jump kicking or breaking
6) End with another team form or synchronized set. BOW OUT!!!

Keep it fast and energetic....if you use music make sure it is popular and has a fast beat. Your purpose should be to show off your art and attract new students to the school...not leave them bored and running for the doors!

Good luck!!!!
http://the100info.tumblr.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

mikS
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ninjanurse wrote:
Ahh! A demo team can be a wonderful thing, not only for the school but for the members too! I have seen many average students get inspired and
become more focused-just from getting a chance to try out!!

I suggest having an application process for all students which can include an essay on why they want to join and a well built up try-out. This gives you some insight into where they are mentally, and who they are personally. A committment to a demo team requires just that...committment. Hours of practice, demanding schedules, higher expectations in the classroom , etc. all create both opportunities for success and failure. You have to be on top of it all the time...But don't forget to have some fun!!!!

Special uniforms give students an incentive to work hard and try out for the team. They can also be a great advertising tool for your program. Don't get too fancy though...you still want to look like martial artists not acrobats right?

As far as routines here is a basic format for a demo:
1) Some kind of introductory form-just made for the team or parts of required forms. A team form is very impressive. Make sure the entrance is exciting.
2) Break into a kicking routine of some kind-give all members a chance to show off. We do alternating across the demo area from 4 corners.
3) Have two or three members do special open forms or weapons forms they have been working on (not too long-can just do partial form)
4) Next do a self defense set with 1 on 1, 2 on 1, boys versus girls, whatever! Curriculum one steps are good for lesser skilled members, open sets for advanced students.
5) Next jump kicking or breaking
6) End with another team form or synchronized set. BOW OUT!!!

Keep it fast and energetic....if you use music make sure it is popular and has a fast beat. Your purpose should be to show off your art and attract new students to the school...not leave them bored and running for the doors!

Good luck!!!!

I'd say just observe who the hardest working and most skilled students (of all levels) in your classes are. Put em on the demo team!

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaNurse...thanks so much...fantastic ideas!

Cyberclown
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Taekwondo/hapkido

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2003 10:04 am    Post subject: demo team Reply with quote

Obviously, when it comes to demonstrations, I'm an oddball.

I do not allow a demo team. If you do I highly suggest that those on that team understand humbleness. many times such a team can alienate other students that for reasons not their own, are unable to make the team. (Parents commitment being #1)

When I do a dem in public (in other words not to a specific audience such as high school students), I show the entire realm of my course. I show begining students who know little more than to stand at attention and say "Sir!" really loud. They demonstrate their newly discovered discipline. I cannot fathom how many mothers approach me afterwords and want me to teach their child to behave likewise.

I always show intermediate skills before bringing out the big guns and doing some very impressive high level techniques. Sometimes, they may make a small mistake. No big deal. I think it is important in public displays to show:

A. That even small nervous children benifit quickly from my course.
B. That no one starts out as an expert and they can see the progression
a student makes as they continue training on their way to becoming
an expert themselves.
C. That we have a strong program, exhibited by everything from
small, confident, disciplined children, through students still in
a "transition" mode all the way to experts demonstrating
techniques that though are awe-inspiring, also show civilians that
if they stick with my course, that they to, can accomplish much
(if not more) than they got to see that day.

I never use music in my demos either. In fact, there are periods in my demos where I get complete and utter silence from the spectators in order to rivet them in anticipation of what they are about to see. I find that the transition from complete silence to thundering applause is a good way to bring the demo to a high point.

Of course I always give the "Don't try this at home" speech which also leads to people wishing to train seriously as well as earning the trust of the parents watching the demo.

I am about to do a high-level demo in St. Louis this month for a national audience. Since it is out of my market area, I am only inviting particualr students, not based on their skill level so much as simply who ther are. It will be a show-stopper.....*g*

4th dan, WTF Kukkiwon certified
AAU Coach/Referee (oops, not National though!)
USTU Regional Referee (but I have stopped chasing the USTU around for a while)
"One of a kind" instructor...*g*

White_Tiger
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Cyberclown for the remarks. All good ideas indeed!

tommarker
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When our club does creativity competition, we make a place for everyone who wants to be involved. Obviously, a white belt's role in a demo is going to be a little different than the black belt's. Everyone has some sort of talent that can be put to good use. Oh yea, we still win a lot, too.

A lot of what we do focuses on hyung application. Sometimes we'll take something from the hyung that doesn't make a lot of sense, and find a way to throw in into what we're doing. Or take another set and give it a whole new spin.

What bugs me about a lot of demo teams is that they aren't very creative, and the same stuff is re-hashed everytime, with the same music... (Mortal Kombat!!!!)

I've watched some schools use the same demo over and over again, just reshuffling the elements, and changing the song and costumes.

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just invited to be on the demo team. I went to my first demo meeting tonight.

The way my instructor is going to do it is: He is letting us pick what we want to do. Like for instance, I want to do kicking, and breaking. One guy wants to do forms, and so on.

We also have to pick an openning. Something to catch the eye, so to speak. Last year they did dive rolls across the stage, and other cool stuff.

So ninjanurse's suggestions will come in handy for us, also

Squawman
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: TKD, BJJ

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Demo team Reply with quote

Having a Demo team is great for advertisement and also to get your name out in public. Try to be as creative as possible ("Creativity is King") and to push your team to do things "outside the box" meaning trying things they didn't think they could do. Add as many elements to the routine as possible, Weapons ,Forms, self defense... Just make it as energetic as possible and leave the audience wanting more. Having seen alot of demos there is nothing more boring than seeing the same thing over and over (Yeah, we get it you can break boards!!) Or some guy out there by himself thinking he's the greatest thing since Cheeze Wiz.

3 rules to focus on for the demo team:

1 What do I have to do
2 What does my partner have to do
3 Am I projecting to the audience

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the top black belts in my dojo assembled a Demo Team within the past year. We first had to meet and decide on what they wanted, goals, requirements, etc. Then we had to publicy announce in class that the tryouts were going to be held. All belt ranges were invitied to tryout, noone was turned away who wanted a chance. The important thing which was told to everyone, is that the demo team doesn't mean that they are better than everyone else, everyone is still encourage to compete at tournaments whether or not you are on the team, etc. Part of the rules say that if you are acting like you are better than anyone else in the dojo just because you are on the team, you would get reprimanded. The benefit of being on the team is you get an extra private once a week from the instructors to work on specific things to improve upon. After we put the team together, we setup a proposal and went out to local companies and talked to them about sponsorship. This helps w/ some of the cost associated w/ travel, rooms, entry fees, etc. We also have "team uniforms" that each member purchases upon making the team. 2-3 times a year we hold tryouts for a chance to join the team.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Instructors and School Owners All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: