Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Severe Matburn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Team Snake Pit Submission Fighting (grappling and striking)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 10:57 am    Post subject: Descrimination Based on Style Reply with quote

It seems to me(and i'm sure you've all noticed) that the martial arts world is broken down into four groups of people.
1."Progressive Martial Artists"
2. "Traditional Martial Artists"
3."MMA fighters"
4. "Submission Fighters"

What I mean here is that each one descriminates the other.

First off, "Progressive Martial Artists" tend to always believe that only their methods will work in a "REAL" street situation and think that traditional arts are heavily flawed with "useless" things like kata, step-sparring, point-sparring, etc. Also, their view of "MMA/Submission Fighters" is that that they are ONLY good for the ring and have little to no value in a real confrontation. They would feel that Muay Thai is too damaging to the body, unneccesarily brutal and stupid for the streets. Also, they feel that "Submission Fighters" are stupid because fighting on the ground is stupid in a real figth, or so they say.

Second, "Traditional Martial Artists" tend to believe that the substance and art behind "Progressive" martial arts is gone. They believe there systems are effective and that they are just as well off with what they do. They tend to have the same opinion on "MMA/Submission Fighters" that the "Progressive Martial Artists" do.

Third, "MMA" guys tend to feel that any art other than Muay Thai, Boxing, Wrestling, San Shou, Kyokoshin(not sure bout spelling), Bjj, Judo or Sambo is merely a waste of time. To them, if it dun werk on the street, then its useless. Believe me on this one, juss check out MMA forums like the one of Sherdog.com They also believe that any single style will merely be destroyed.

Fourth, "Submission Fighters" tend to believe that any striker would just be taken down and submitted. They hold true tot he results of the first few UFcs(when BJJ dominated all other styles)

In conclusion, all though we should all be brethren int he Martial Arts, we stand divided. I'm sure there are ppl in between as well as those ignorant of other syles(like ppl who go to McDojo's fer just exercise and stuff and dun really care about the art) but I've seen SO MUCH style bashing, in fact i've done some myself

"Nice punch!!!, now let's see how well you punch with a broken arm"

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am definately a traditional martial artist and proud of it. However I was also a mono artist, I did not believe in cross training of any description. But I hope I am going to cross train in Judo. Not to change the Aikido that I love, but to understand it better, so perhaps I have "progressive" tendancies.

Yours in Aiki

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly a blend between your definition of Progressive and Traditional. I'm tending to see your definition of Progressive as more of a "Closed minded" person. They aren't open to any of the other "Martial Artists" and attack any style that isn't their own. In my mind a true Progressive martial artists keeps his/her mind open to any new information they come across and have no qualms about adding foreign knowledge to what they already know.

Dim Sum
White Belt
White Belt

Styles: Wing Chun San Shou Jeet Kune Do

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i often think if u cant use it on the street then what good is it to learn it, although i was thinking about taking up san shou just to help with kicks for jkd and tournament use

Kyle-san
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dim Sum wrote:
i often think if u cant use it on the street then what good is it to learn it,

For personal enjoyment? To look back at the traditions of a style? Because it's something else to learn?

Tombstone
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings,

I'm not much of a "style" type of guy. BUT, in my opinion, if a style wasn't effective then it wouldn't be around. Just because im a "MMA person" doesn't mean im closed minded.

Karateka_latino
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Goju-Ryu Karate do; Kung Fu.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2002 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Post...
My nick is submssionfighter but i don't believe the only way to win a fight is to take it to the ground, in fact, i feel its way too dangerous...
I feel that every Art can be effective if you know how to use it. I Like Traditional martial Arts, but i feel No Style is really complete. Point or No sparring, three step sparring doesn't do much for real combat training which i feel should be done as real as posible without hurt eachother in class and Kata in Many schools i just an exercise since nowbody teachs you the real and logic applications and how to make them work and under what circunstances.
And also, im not a blind believe that just because you do MMA/NHB training you are going to defeat every single person in the planet.
Then i can consider myself a "Progressive Martial Artist" but i respect and learn for others.

taebot
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: tkd, kobudo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm simply amazed that you can so succinctly put everyone into four niches.

I tend to group people as wrasslers, dancers, or kick-punch bots...

Oh, yeah, biters...

Venezolano
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, TKD, Karate.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm identified with MMA fighter

karatekid1975
KF VIP

Styles: Tang Soo Do/TKD/jujitsu

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a traditional martial artist. I guess that comes from doing TSD (and my new Dojang is TKD MDK). But I don't "egnore" or put down other arts. Every art has something to offer. Eventhough I do a "striking art" doesn't mean I don't want to get into ground fighting art or weapons fighting art, ect. I do. I'm interested in Kali for weapons, and jujitsu and/or Judo for ground fighting.

What I don't like is how MMA fighters put down others arts when they never tried them. Not just MMA, but a few others also. If they try another art and don't like it for what ever reason, so be it. But don't bash someone else because they do that art.

Just my opinion
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: