Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

tallgeese
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, Bujin Bugei Jutsu, Gokei Ryu Kempo Jutsu, MMA, Shootfighting, boxing, kickboxing, JKD, Pekiti Tersia Kali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Details of the Hip Bump Sweep Reply with quote

We've been dealing with fundamental movements to ring in the new year. From the perspective of getting of the bottom, there are few techniques more iconic or important than the hip bump sweep. This is foundational to several other, more complex, sweeps. Also, it's incredibly functional in its own right. Here's a brief video of class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajNLQWSjk5I

Take a look at the details. Are you catching each one? Also, consider the centerline discussion later in the video, does the concept of achieving flanking position for follow make sense in jiu jitsu as it does in stand up arts? For those looking at SD use, can you see how this particular movement can be equally effective for gi, and no gi?

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent tutorial, Alex...great details in the sweep!!

The center line, as we're taught, is everything. Driving, manipulating, balance, power, penetration, give and takes, transitions, and so on and so forth derive from the center line. Great points you made about that centerline. And as you know, Shindokan is both, stand-up and ground. I can appreciate your points made in this tutorial.

Gi...no gi...to me, either way, this particular movement can still be effective because of the centerline applications. Like you showed, easier to attack the torso than the hip, in which, the lower gravity at the hips is more grounded, while the higher gravity at the torso is more susceptible, and as you've shown, in this sweep type.

Of course, the counter to this bump sweep that I don't understand is when my opponent tries to lay down with his weight upon me. BAD IDEA because I'm really not being pressed down, and in fact, I can still move my hips to the outside and execute the sweep, however, I have to move immediate to him lying down on me in his attempt to counter me. This is what I've noticed, experienced, and have been taught.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> BJJ, Judo, Jujitsu, Aikido, and Grappling Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: