Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

KarateEd
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I had to take the initiative and go learn on my own.

Traymond
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Sensei of Brasshand Style, but practicioner of many

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents are against fighting, as am I, I took up martial arts for fun, now I take it for fun still, but how ever if I had to fight, I know for sure that I would be able to defend my self efficiently, by effieciently I mean that I would make my opponent want to stop fighting, because they can only use so much physical power to defeat me, after a while he will be physically wore out, and I would be able to do what ever I want to him, that is if it were only one person. If there were more, then I would have to rely on the emphasis of hitting your opponent one time, like in the throat, neck, nose, temple, solar plexus to remove my opponents from my path.

white owl
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: shotokan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, my Dad taught taught me a few things especially when I came home from school one day wearing a nice shiner and I had hurt my hand and he showed me then how to throw a punch correctly he wore a bruise on his arm for a week a when he wanted me to show him if I got it.

Ottman
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Jeet Kune Do (Concepts), Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira, Samurai combative arts (Nami Ryu Aiki Heiho)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn't teach me to fight in particular, but he did keep me involved in sports and working out since I was 3, so I'd be fit enough and tough enough to handle myself. He also taught to me stand up for myself, although not necessarily physically. In a sense, he gave me the temperament to defend myself no matter what the method I used was.

(He was the one who enrolled me in TKD when I was 12 and paid all the training costs, so, indirectly, I guess you could say he had something to do with it. )

granitemiller
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shotokan

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father taught me the basics in wrestling, take downs, rolls, etc., all free-style wrestling that you learn in high school.

ryukasagi
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: AKKI Kenpo.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my dad taught me a bit of wrestling but thats it.

BDPulver
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Isshinryu, Kobudo, Knife Training

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my dad but he never taught me how to fight. My mother saw how much I loved martial arts and pushed me to follow what I love. Most encounters I ran or rode my bike to avoid and it got to be scary growing up and I think she knew it. Somehow mom's always know.

Pretty much my mom always said my dad was a lover and not a fighter and never really understood that till much later in life.

JusticeZero
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Capoeira Angola

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father never taught me to fight, because he couldn't; i'm inheriting a daughter, and i've started to teach her a thing or two, but I have a long way to go.

jaddensinn
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Open style karate, Superfoot system

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad was a cop so he definitely knew how to fight... he never really taught me too much but my mom prompted him to teach me some basics after I got into a fight when I was younger, of course I forgot most of what he taught me, I do remember some of the joint locks and pressure points though...

...the joke in the family now (after I got my black belt) is that Dad can't do anything to me anymore if he wanted to

Shizentai
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my parents specifically discouraged me from learning martial arts, or doing any sort of high physical contact anything. I was a very fragile child and they worried I'd somehow hurt myself.

My dad actually encouraged me to learn to race bikes and do track and field instead.

Ironically, I'm covered in scars from riding bikes, but I don't have a single mark on me from karate, which I started once I was old enough to make my own decision about the matter.

In retrospect, I'm glad it worked out that way. If my parents had started me in martial arts as a child, I think I'd feel differently about it. After all, is it just me or is there nothing in the world scarier than badly behaved karate parents?

As it stands the only one who motivates me to go to the dojo has always been me. It's been 100% my responsibility since the beginning even though I started at 14.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: