Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

TKD_McGee
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me someone, I would like to know about these different arts more...

Tobias_Reece
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Matayoshi Okinawawn Kobudo, Shotokan Karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMMMM....Interesting

Ok, crash course

Shotokan - Developed in Japan, by Gichin Funakoshi. Based on the Okinawan forms of karate, but with big changes eg. deep stances.

Kenpo karate - Developed in America. Based on many forms of martial arts, but centralising around street combat.

Okinawan karate - Martial arts developed from Chinese martial arts, and combat forms from the different provinces in Okinawa (Shuri, Naha, Tomari).

Thats very brief, and there are probably some mistakes eg. Kempo/kenpo eg. Shaolin Tzu-Kempo

If you want any more information, I'm sure the bods on this forum can help. Plus yuo could ask me for more detail

Hope this helps

Principal Kobudo Instructor & Owner
West Yorkshire Kobudo Academy
2nd Kyu (Matayoshi Okinawan Kobudo, IOKA UK)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres tons of info on the web about the history of these arts.

A true combat warrior has to be hard as nails in mind, body and soul. Warriors are action takers and not action fakers. If you are cruising, make time for losing

ronryu
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito ryu karate

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as we all know lthere are many different styles . Shotokan was developed by funakoshi gichin from okinawan karate. There is alos Okinawan kempo which also use kata liek the pinan's and the nihanchi , but also have many different one on one mini kata i guess is what you would call them very quick and to the point soem say they came from china (shaolin boxing ) wee pratice an okinawan styel of kempo called katsu ryu .
Hope this helps to expand the confusion .

Ryukyu kobudo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: