Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Peace
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 2:44 pm    Post subject: Differences between Shaolin kempo and Shotokan. Reply with quote

hi,
id like to know the differences between these two styles. Any web site information would help. Thanks!

Kensai
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my very limted understand of Shaolin and Shotokan. The differences are:

Shaolin Kempo is very similar to Shaolin Kung Fu, as they are both from the same temple.

Shotokan is further removed from Shaolin and based more on the southern styles especially Tiger.

They are both pretty complete in the later stages although I would say that Shaolin is more complete.

Sorry I could'nt be more help.

Yours in Aiki.

Red J
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shaolin Kempo Sandan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The basics for Shaolin Kempo start with the Tiger like moves simular to Shotokan (as they are easier for most to learn in the early stages) but move quickly into more "Shaolin" movements. Shaolin Kempo has the influence of the 5 animals (Tiger, Crane, Dragon, Snake, and Leopard) and the system revolves around the 4 types of fighting (punching, kicking, felling, and grappling). Check out WWW.Villari.net for more info on Shaolin Kempo and www.24fightingchickens.com for Shotokan. The main difference that I have experienced is that Shotokan is very linear and direct and Shaolin Kempo moves away from that as you advance into a more circular and soft style like its Kung Fu origins. I hope this helps.

yireses
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shaolin Chuan Fa {Kung Fu}

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Sijin Reply with quote

Shaolin Kempo and Shotokan are veryyyyyy difernet from each other. Shaolin Kempo is Chinese and Shotokan is Japanese. Shaolin uses circular soft and gentle movementes Shotokan uses strait and very rough movementes. The Termonalgy changes to. Shaolin {Form} Shotocan {Kata} Shaolin {Kwoon} = school. Shotocan {Dojo} = School Shaolin {Sifu} = master = teacher Shotocan {Sensei}= master = teacher.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: