Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)

Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?

Nope. Our fighting stances are more natural. There is a bit of a disconnect between our forms and application.

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
singularity6 wrote:

Nope. Our fighting stances are more natural. There is a bit of a disconnect between our forms and application.

Pretty much the same disconnect for all traditional martial arts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to: