Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Korean Martial Arts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.
Author Message

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Luther unleashed
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Joined: 30 Jan 2014
Posts: 661
Location: Phoenix
Styles: A few!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)


Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?
_________________
Hustle and hard work are a substitute for talent!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

singularity6
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Joined: 26 Jun 2017
Posts: 958
Location: Michigan
Styles: Jidokwan Taekwondo and Hapkido, Yoshokai Aikido, ZNIR Iaido, Kendo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luther unleashed wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)


Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?


Nope. Our fighting stances are more natural. There is a bit of a disconnect between our forms and application.
_________________
5th Geup Jidokwan Tae Kwon Do/Hap Ki Do

(Never officially tested in aikido, iaido or kendo)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Prototype
Green Belt
Green Belt

Joined: 15 Dec 2016
Posts: 367


PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

singularity6 wrote:
Luther unleashed wrote:
singularity6 wrote:
I went to my buddy's school a couple times, and they taught me Taegeuk Il Jang. I showed them all the forms I knew at the time - Pal Gwe Il Jang through Saa Jang (I've since learned Oh Jang.) There are substantial differences. When I showed them Saa Jang, the instructor who was present said that it reminded him of his third black belt form. Learning the Taegeuk form was a bit strange - the walking stances felt really shallow. They kept correcting me, as I was trying to go into deeper stances, as allmost all of our stances so far are a deep front or back stance (Saa Jang has a bit of variation with standing knife hand strikes, and low blocks in a horse stance.)


Yes it definitely is awkward doing stances that small, I find there is some value in them though. Will you always have deep stances when attacked?


Nope. Our fighting stances are more natural. There is a bit of a disconnect between our forms and application.


Pretty much the same disconnect for all traditional martial arts.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


< Advertising - Contact - Disclosure Policy - Staff - User Guidelines >