Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I began to study the art, I've become amazed at the range of karate schools and styles out there...

I know "Kung Fu" is renowned for possessing a multitude of styles, but karate seems almost as diverse.

I'm wondering if other students would care to comment on what they think makes their school/style unique.

The style I study, Taikudo, incorporates points from ju-jitsu, judo, and other Japanese martial arts, into what is largely a karate style.

I don't know enough about the other styles to say what school the karate originates from, or where it stops and the ju-jitsu begins... not that we do any throwing or obvious "ju" stuff, at least yet...

What do other people find unique about their style? Are many studying one of the "big four" (shotokan, goju, wado, kyokushin)?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My theroy is that all Martial Arts lead to the same place after many years of practice. Mean in the long run any karate style will lead you into Ju-Jitsu and Akkido etc.

In the beginning there was this one Martial Art. However on the battlefield you had no need to grapple becasue someone else would come up and kill you while you were on the ground. Thus it broke into 3 styles. One of which was Karate this could be taught quickly to an army and kicking and punching is all they would have time to do. Ju-Jitsu and Judo became a practice only for sport. The other branch was be Akkido which is all your join locks and stuff. Which was completely left out becasue its difficulty to learn.

I have read about this speration and I think it makes a lot of sense. Thus I have came to feel that any martial at will have bits and parts of others in it. Just like the Yin and Yang.

However that is just my thoughs on the matter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard they all end in similar places, but of course I'm nowhere near "there" yet...

I've also noticed some similarities with the basics, even in some moves between karate and tai chi!

But how much of the road on the way is dictated by the style, and how much by the student?

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sound like a real wise old man LOL. Can you not get to one without the other lol.

If the students wants to break away I am sure they may get other aspects quicker than if you were go the course in your style.

Each styles focus on what there founder felt was the most important. So you need to see what you think is the most important.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

AnonymousOne
Red Belt
Red Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I practice a derivative of Shotokan called Chidokan that was developed by Kancho Sasaki (a direct student of Funakoshi)immediately upon Funakoshi's death prior to all the changes to Shotokan in 1958 and onward.

The difference's to other schools are:

* Low deep stances, probably the lowest in the art for strong leg development
* Tidiness in performance of technique
* Extremely hard training
* Very strict discipline (Military style)
* Emphasis on power, speed and particularly focus
* Traditional Karate although Kumite and Kata contests are held
* Practical self defence. High kicking and jump kicks are reserved for only the most senior of grades

Its one of the toughest schools I have ever seen

[ This Message was edited by: AnonymousOne on 2002-04-11 01:37 ]

Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The style I'm studying sounds similar in essentials to Anonymous one's. I'm studying Kusano Ha Shi-to Ryu. There is a lot of emphasis on remaining low in shikodachi and zenkutsu dachi stances, hip rotation and precision technique (though I suspect that this follows through to all styles).

As far as teaching styles go our sensei spends a huge amount of our time on kata and bunki - virtually no sparring, and when we do spar in gradings it is dojo-kumite rather than point sparring. This is the way I like my training. I personally love the traditional side of the martial arts.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you learn bunkai, do you learn the "Funakoshi sports" application, or the hard-core "traditional street-defense" application?

Having seen both demonstrated from the same move, it's impossible to mistake the two. One is passed off as simple blocks and strikes, and often has a hand or body part in some position without much reason other than aesthetics... the other involves lots of joint locks, takedowns, grabbing the opponent, much more vicious blows and movements, and NO kata move is wasted or "for looks".

Mike
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely the bunkai I learn is of the joint locking and takedown variety -- Out of the first four bunkai I have been taught three of them involve armlocking takedowns (nice!)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: