Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For me, if I as the CI exercises my Student Body to death and talks most of the class, then I'm not providing them their monies worth. There must be quality over quantity on the floor.

There would need to be the ideal mixture for me. But if I had to guess, I'd say it depends on the type of karate being taught. Some karate forms, including Shotokan and Kyokushin, require rigorous physical training. In my experience, Okinawan techniques are generally more technical, less tense, and also break down bunkai, etc.

In addition, I think it totally depends on the student's goals for learning karate in the first place, whether those goals are fitness, self-defense, or just having fun.

(In the early 2000's) Prior to learning karate, I spent most of my time working out at the gym and participating in CrossFit, but I quickly got bored with it since I thought there was no reason beyond conditioning and toning the body, which is fine, but I wanted more.

By chance, I was a huge MMA fan and had a ton of friends who were taking MT or BJJ classes. I must admit that the methods and surroundings intimidated me, so I neglected it until I noticed a small Shotokan establishment in the same shopping center as the gym. I tried it out after watching an ADULT class one day and immediately fell in love with it since it was the ideal combination of a challenging workout and the instructor was excellent at explaining the technique. It inspired my interest in martial arts and led me to investigate various forms of Karate. I learned Shorin ryu through for a while at 2 separate dojos (Kobayashi and Ryukyu Kempo), but quickly grew weary of it because, despite being technically sound and excellent at basically dissecting bunkai, etc., it lacked the sensation of a tough workout.

I trained Shotokan 6 days a week for a long time until a few years ago.

Since then, I've left the neighborhood where I was previously a resident. I have not been able to find a class that closely resembles my peak experience of Karate because many things have changed since the pandemic (schools going down, fewer classes, etc.).

These days, I mostly discover classes that are only for kids or hybrid classes that have more days devoted to kids (which I am not interested in). Even though I do a lot of grappling, Karate continues to excite me much.

Again, the standards above are solely my own

Regardless, I appreciate the insights from the comments.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How far away did you move from the Shotokan class?

https://www.instagram.com/nordic_karate/

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
How far away did you move from the Shotokan class?

about a 45min drive, 35mins no traffic (like on a Friday) family dynamics have changed since then, so I can't afford to drive there and back rigorously like before.

Down the street from me is a Shorin Ryu school, but returning to "Price," the owner charges $150 for a 35-minute lesson twice a week with children. They were back-to-back classes, but I was told I could only attend one, which I found absurd, so I didn't even bother. Another well-known Eibukan Goju ryu school with adult classes was only ten minutes away, but it has since closed as a result of the pandemic. The only other schools are Shito ryu and focus on teaching children. They charge $150 a month and provide "mixed classes" two days a week.

as mentioned in on my previous post, I pay a little under $100 monthly at my current JJ gym which offers unlimited multiple classes daily Mon-Sat. My old Shotokan place was charging $85 for Mon-Fri adult classes.

As TKD and MMA gyms predominate in my neighborhood, those are all the Karate schools that are primarily offered there.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kyokushin school offers adult classes for $75 per month, but it is quite a distance away and only meets once a week on the weekends. Practically, I wouldn't gain anything training once a week.

One of the Shito Ryu schools I called was originally $175, but after haggling, the price was reduced to $150 which was considered a "discounted rate." School offered 2 40 min classes a week combined with kids.

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Matsumura-Seito, Shobayashi-Ryu, Shudokan, Long Fist, American Street Karate, Southern Mantis, HEMA

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you looking to return at 6 days a week? I understand not being able to go a lot, my dojo is about the same distance, but I got twice a week to mine and I feel that this is worth it to me. Would you feel the same about limiting it to twice a week? Or is that still to much for your current situation?

Zaine
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Follow up, do they offer Zoom classes? If you can make it once or twice a week and Zoom in otherwise that might be a good compromise.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Follow up, do they offer Zoom classes? If you can make it once or twice a week and Zoom in otherwise that might be a good compromise.

To me, The sensation of working out hard with your dojo friends on that wooden floor cannot be replaced by zoom training, which is why I have never been a fan of it.

Quote:
Are you looking to return at 6 days a week? I understand not being able to go a lot, my dojo is about the same distance, but I got twice a week to mine and I feel that this is worth it to me. Would you feel the same about limiting it to twice a week? Or is that still to much for your current situation?

I believe I can produce three to four times a week, but knowing that there are many days open is also important.

A karate dojo within the same driving distance as my JJ gym (just 6 minutes away) would be ideal. It is what it is, and I still have JJ, to which I am generally very committed. nonetheless, if a Karate dojo with the qualities I'm searching for opens up, I'd be interested in going and seeing what it has to offer.

aurik
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Shuri-Ryu, Uechi-Ryu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fact of life these days -- if you want to run a MA studio as a full-time business, you have to teach kids. At the dojo I'm at, the vast majority of students (probably 80% or better) are under 13. However, there is a growing adult population there as kids "age out" of the youth classes, and he attracts more adult students.

As far as pricing goes, you need to figure out how much it is worth to you. I remember when I first started taking (and paying for) lessons in the mid-1990's, I was only paying $30/mo or so. Now I'm paying about $100/mo per student (for me and my son). It's a bit more complicated than that, because we get a multi-student discount and there are a few other expenses rolled in there, but it averages out to 100/mo/student.

Again, the question is... what's it worth to you? For me the $100/mo/student is well worth it. It's actually LESS than what my wife pays for our son to attend 4 hourly piano lessons per month.
Uechi-Ryu 2018-Present - Nidan
ABS Bladesmith 2021-Present - Apprentice

LionsDen
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also what state? That can really effect prices since some states have much higher costs of living.

I’d honestly charge more if my town had a higher mean and/or median income.
Around here both mean and median income is around 28-33k, so me charging $25/month puts me in the upper end of what someone can realistically charge.

3 classes per week would be over 10k for a customer.
One class per week is 1200 per year.

R5ky
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey everyone
I carefully considered all of the postings and comments on this page and decided.
I should just train if I like karate and not worry about the hybrid classes and deal with costs if any.
Coincidentally, I discovered a JKA-style dojo, a separate Shoto organization from the one in which I hold a Dan and the pricing is very reasonable.

I am aware that the majority of you practice different forms of karate, but how would you go about checking to see if your present rank is transferable?
I have no issues going back to being a white belt. I have not brought this up with the instructor when I called for information.

If any of you were in my shoes, would you insist on having your status recognized or would it be more honorable to insist and start over at the very beginning, at white, and climb the ladder from there?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: