Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tallgeese wrote:
I have to agree with BushidoMan, it's never a waste of time. You're or theirs. As you progress and explore a new art. Keep it up. It's worth it.

To your question, totally.. yes, I dealt with the same thing. I'd venture a guess that pretty much everyone who has made that jump struggles. Again, focus on follow through, concentrate on sticking to the target, and mentally always drive through the target.

You'll get there. Keep at it and keep us posted.

Time to keep you posted!!

I can now kick muay thai style well... with my left leg

For some reason doing it with my right leg is harder. I'm getting better, but I am not quite there yet with my right side. It's funny, I am right handed, but for martial arts or sports I definitely favor my left side.

RW
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alan Armstrong wrote:
What not to do when kicking, as better to learn this concept by an expert, the easy way, by some one else's experience.

https://youtu.be/NXKYZ8kWock

the prospect of a broken shin haunts me, yeah. For some reason I wasn't afraid of breaking something back when I was kicking with my instep

bushido_man96
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Taekwondo, Combat Hapkido, Aikido, GRACIE, Police Krav Maga, SPEAR

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RW wrote:
tallgeese wrote:
I have to agree with BushidoMan, it's never a waste of time. You're or theirs. As you progress and explore a new art. Keep it up. It's worth it.

To your question, totally.. yes, I dealt with the same thing. I'd venture a guess that pretty much everyone who has made that jump struggles. Again, focus on follow through, concentrate on sticking to the target, and mentally always drive through the target.

You'll get there. Keep at it and keep us posted.

Time to keep you posted!!

I can now kick muay thai style well... with my left leg

For some reason doing it with my right leg is harder. I'm getting better, but I am not quite there yet with my right side. It's funny, I am right handed, but for martial arts or sports I definitely favor my left side.

Could be that you feel more comfortable balanced on your dominant side leg.

sensei8
KF Sensei
KF Sensei

Styles: Shindokan Saitou-ryu [Shuri-te/Okinawa-te based]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Muscle memory seems quite evident here. Re-Training one's muscle memory is possible, but can be very difficulty to do so. How long one's been doing something, even if it's correct, over and over makes it even more difficult to Re-Train ones muscle memory.

I believe that while Re-Training ones muscle memory can be somewhat difficult to accomplish, a seasoned and much qualified instructor CAN, by all means, Re-Train a students muscle memory.

Albeit, one can have multiple muscle memories. Kind of like being able to speak several different languages; an internal switch is voluntarily flipped. So, one can do multiple MA successfully by flipping that internal switch on and off at will. Again, for that, I believe that the key there is found within the quality of instructor(s). There must be that effort and accountability on both the student and the instructor equally.

Imho!!

Alan Armstrong
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legs kicking legs like a baseball bat, is hard hitting hard, depending on angle, location and velocity, there are many uncertainties built in to this type of striking.

Crippling an opponent or oneself with a kick is a gamble.

Skill, tactics and strategy is to make proper decisions to prevent injuries to oneself and to win a match or fight without incurring disabilatating injuries.

Kicking pads is not the same as kicking another person's bones.

Bones or a kick travelling up to 75 MPH hitting another object bones at 75 MPH is similar to hitting a stationary object at 150 MPH; which is something never really realistically trained for; as there is no absorption of energy.

Kicking safely and defending strategies against them confidently is possible, as bone against bone is only one method of doing this, there are however other options to consider.

So good luck with the hard hitting kicking and please try not to break a leg.

https://youtu.be/k3flbmqZoEM

https://youtu.be/5URZ00iJwLc

https://youtu.be/H9A7bivZbHk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Choosing a Martial Art, Comparing Styles, and Cross-Training All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: