Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

borischowchow
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi to all!

First of all, my name is Ray, 35 years old, from Florida. I was referred to this forum by a member of the TKD Yahoo club.

Now, I have a bit of a dilemma…The other day, I came across this TKD school and I decided to check it out. It was late, and there were no students there, but I spoke to one of the assistant instructors (very nice guy, by the way). I told him I was curious about taking up TKD. He said it would be very beneficial to me and invited me to watch a class. They are not open Sundays so he said a weekday would be OK. I told him that I had not exercised in two years and he said “no problem”. I am about 20 lbs. overweight but he said “fine”. From what I saw, he himself was in very good shape.

I’m not sure if he was being sincere, and I’m also a bit skeptical about the whole thing. As I already said, I’m 35 and in terrible shape. I have no muscle and no flexibility whatsoever, so I can do kicks only in my dreams. Considering all this, I feel like forgetting about the whole thing, and since TKD depends so much on kicking, I feel I would be at a severe disadvantage.

Now, before I decide anything, I would like to hear the input of TKD students and instructors. Should I just forget about it and take up something less physically demanding, or give TKD a shot? Please let me know what you think. Your comments will be greatly appreciated!

RJ

kicker
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: kickboxing, muay thai, tennis, lots more.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to the boards borischowchow!!

um...serious problem there boy i meant man!! um just weight train a lot and exerice!!

GoldDragon
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Boards!

Represenitive for Paltalk.com
*-*-*-*-Mouser (Palhelp)*-*-*-*-*-

babysteffee
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Ray, welcome to karateforums.

For all I'm not a TKD student there have been many people like yourself join our class (kickboxing) which also relies a lot on kicks, and with a little bit of work (which everyone has to do regardless of their shape and size) anybody can practise a martial art, IMO.

Being able to kick well has nothing to do with your physical state, but more how supple your muscles are, which comes with practise.

The only reason the instructor you mentioned was so "thin", as are most MA practitioners, is because the class gives you a workout and it's addictive which means you practise it, burning fat.

If you want to do it I think you should go for it, the instructor will only go at your pace and won't force you to kick chin-height if he knows you can't.

Hope I was a little help there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger

niel0092
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Kali, TKD, judo (formerly)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, welcome from the yahoo page. I started there too.

Being out of shape in the beginning isn't a big deal. You'll get there. I've seen plenty of people that were a bit on the portly side come into class. They huff and puff just like we all do in the beginning and after a month or more they lose weight, just like the rest of us. You see one of the big reasons to start TKD is to get in shape and beleive me you will! A guy I know lost 70lbs in three months. He was out of shape but now is in great condition. I'm not saying eveyone will have this dramatic a weight lose, but there is a precedent for it. Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2001 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first; welcome to karate forums BORISCHOWCHOW (RAY)................
i don't really see a dilemma with your problem. if you are really interested in getting started you shouldn't let your physical conditioning get in the way. a lot of people don't start an exercise program because they want to be in shape before they start. but you must start to get into shape.
we all must start somewhere to find the right questions to ask. i recommend you take the introduction class and meet some of the other students for their outlook. you will most likely be sore and feel awkward at first but we all started that way. flexibility and stamina is something that will come over time and not over night. so patience is also something that you will learn.
with that said, i think BABYSTEFFEE's post is a good discription and a good opinion.

therefore; you have nothing to lose but everthing to gain...............

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

borischowchow
White Belt
White Belt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank everyone here for your input. One thing that I noticed is that for the most part, your responses are very encouraging.

Thank you all and I'll keep you posted!

RJ

iamrushman
KF VIP

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2001 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with your quest..........

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be discouraged borischowchow!....
I wish that I had started my TKD training earlier in my life (only regret that I do have in training in the martial arts) When I began I was in pretty good physical shape with the desire to learn and to complete my training no matter what,,,(and that included some pulled ham strings, groin muscles, bruised ribs, and numerous black & blues!) Martial arts training does take its toll on the mature body so you do need to warm up completely before you begin....work on your stretches and flexibility everyday!. Its a bunch of hog wash about how you lose your flexibility at an older age. It just takes more work on your part....and don't give up. We have a guy at our school who just earned his black belt at age 57!
Don't have any regrets....if you truly want to learn there is nothing stopping you except your mind!
If you need some more tips email me and I'll explain some real good stretching and flexibility exercises for you!
Deby

Chris from CT
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Jung Ki Hapkido, Shaolin Kempo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2001 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, RJ!

The only thing I would like to add is that the martial arts isn't just about being in shape, it's a vehicle to get you there.

Your teacher and your attitude going into it, are the two most important factors in feeling fulfilled in the martial arts. A good teacher will work with you to get the most out of your training. Find a good teacher and enjoy!!!

Take care, RJ.

in death he is hard and rigid..." LaoTzu
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> TKD, TSD, Hapkido, and Korean Martial Arts All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3
Jump to: