Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Martial_Artist
Pre-Black Belt
Pre-Black Belt

Styles: The Pure Art

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one rule on the street I can think of:

RULE: Win.

People may call it dishonorable, cheap, or dirty. But this is reality. If you die you cannot call 'foul' and have the ref. restart the match or disqualify your opponent. There is no round two. If your opponent does something to win--like throw dirt in your eyes--that doesn't make him cheap or dirty. It makes him smarter than you. You didn't see it coming, you couldn't defend against it. Streetfighting is, in so many cases but not in all, the closest thing to combat many will ever experience.

It is fighting in its purity. It is not pretty. Fighting never is or was intended to be. If anyone thinks fighting is a fun game they have no idea what fighting is. They have never had to defend their life against the real possibility of death. If they did it wouldn't be so much of a game to them. Have to fight against someone who doesn't fight within the same constricts as you and it will open your eyes.

Sorry if I have babbled.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion. MA raised a good point? What does it really mean to have a black belt(where belts apply)? Does it mean you are proficient at your style? Absolutely. Does it mean you can handle yourself in a fight? Not really, unless you been there, have taken a few punches, gotten a black eye, try out what works and what does not. How you train, is how you'll react. For some people, they'll react to the same way every time. Say if I feint, and he backs away, I know that he'll back away again the second time I throw the feint. Using that to my advantage, I'll do a reverse kick to cover the distance and throw punches when my foot lands. The street is different than training in class or in the ring, but the principles are always the same. To be a good streetfighter you have to train for it. But who wants to. Who wants to come to work every day with a black eye or a broken jaw.

I have seen a great street fighter, he 'll just wait for you to attack him. He's tense but relax, always thinking ahead of you, knows to a high percentage what you're about to do, counter and punch you out cold before you get your second strike in.

"The number one rule of Fight Club is you don't take about Fight Club.
The second rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club.
The third rule of Fight Club is only two man in the center.
If its your first night, your going to fight."

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To have a black belt (hopefully) denotes that yes you are proficient in your techniques. I guess you would possibly have the advantage over most inexperienced fighters.... an attacker out to just do you harm.
The advantage of the black belt in a "combat situation" is they are prone to be more familiar with many different fighting styles and theories so may quickly evaluate their opponent's possible actions. If you understand your opponent’s tactics and motivations you will not let them lead you into a position of weakness, instead you will be able lead the opponent into defeat. The only way to understand the intricacies of tactical combat is to study all the martial philosophies and fighting arts, your own style. With a greater martial knowledge base to draw from, it is less likely that you will be surprised by an attacker.
The combat tactics you employ will differ in any given situation. Like which person(s) has the weapon(s) and the type of weapon(s), how proficient are the persons with the weapons, the intent of the attacker (to threaten or to cause injury), how proficient you are with self-defense techniques (are you a black belt?), are other people nearby, and what are you defending (life or property).

Sinbad
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KickChick, you made some good points. However, you said

quote: 'The advantage of the black belt in a "combat situation" is they are prone to be more familiar with many different fighting styles and theories so may quickly evaluate their opponent's possible actions.'

The problem is that familiarity, and the ability to do anything under pressure only comes through practice. However, I just wonder how many of us actually simulate 'combat situations' in our dojos, such as surprise attack, fear, pain, swearing & shouting etc. I know I don't in my training and would like to do some of this type of training too.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: