Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
So today, things took a huge turn for the worse. Tonight, the Nidan that basically runs the operations of the club told me that "K" has been informing the parents of some of the students that she is being unfairly targeted. She claims that in her kumite for her test, she was hit intentionally and it caused a slight concussion (nevermind the 3 kicks to the Nidan's "man parts" that she dealt out prior to that). She approached our M.I. and informed him of this and basically said that she's thinking of filing charges against the Nidan. I'm not quite sure if it was an ultimatum to have him removed from his position of authority within the club, but the Nidan has resigned from his duties at the club for fear of having this person ruin the club. He will now train only as a student but will have no authority or voting power in the club. He feels that this is the only way to avoid giving the club a "black eye" for lack of a better term.

I was present at the test, and I was literally 6 feet away when that "hit" occurred. (I put "hit" in quotations because it wasn't a hard enough strike to hurt my 5 year old- they both attacked at the same time, and the Nidan's strike got there first- he tried to shorten the strike, but the student had committed forward, but was trying to lean back) The Nidan was wearing thick padded kumite gloves, and the hit occurred as the student was moving backwards and was done slow and with no power and certainly not intentionally. 10 minutes after that "hit", the student's daughter ran and fell head first into the wall of the same room, and she did not suffer a concussion! After the test, the Nidan actually offered positive encouragement and offered to help the student achieve the rank she desired. Which is why I am floored after hearing what I heard tonight.

I have no other words. I've never come across this kind of childish garbage in the martial arts.

That is absurd of her behavior!

In kumite you should expect to be hit, not because of your gender but because you have to learn how to fight! Every student gets worked hard at gradings, if a student has been lacking they will get worked harder to help them realize that they need to lift their effort levels in class.

She has to have proof that she had a concussion AND that it was because of that one thing. he could counter-sue by saying that she could have caused him to become infertile and faced serious medical issues because of the damages to his man-parts

I get hit hard a lot in kumite and have had numerous concussions from other students and from instructors. I stop straight away if something doesn't feel right and they apologize for what happened and that it was accidental if they hit me too hard.

I respect the Nidan's decision to resign from the role that he was in. Because obviously he respects the school to much to have it sued.

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point the student needs to be OUT. Sorry it has come to this.

mal103
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Collect statements now from all who witnessed the grading/sparring while it's still fresh. Consider her permananetly banned!!!

You should have nothing to worry about but it is not nice when someone is threatening legal action - what does she expect to achieve - a free Black belt?

Sometimes better to cut losses with some students as they can be a pain in the behind. You may want to issue a statement to all students saying everyone is fairly treated but if they have any problems to come and speak with you/CI etc.
Give the Nidan a couple of weeks and tell them to get back in the role.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

Styles: Shotokan, Shorin Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the insights, guys. I'm going to meet with my M.I. tonight to go over a few different options. There is a video of the sparring session in question, and there are multiple video clips of the 3 our test that I would be able to show the student to justify her rank and why she hasn't advanced further.

Personally, the fighter in me says to tell her to do what she wants to and we'll meet that challenge head on. But the P.C. side of the club is trying to keep everything calm and fix the issue as quietly as possible.

I'll know more after our meeting tonight.
Respect others
Refrain from violent behavior.

Nidan Melbourne
KF Sempai
KF Sempai

Styles: Goju-Ryu, BJJ, Balintawak Arnis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any way you can upload the video?

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nidan Melbourne wrote:
Any way you can upload the video?

I have to get it from a student's mom first. I'll see if I can get my hands on it tonight.
Respect others

ineluki
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
Thanks for all of the insights, guys. I'm going to meet with my M.I. tonight to go over a few different options. There is a video of the sparring session in question, and there are multiple video clips of the 3 our test that I would be able to show the student to justify her rank and why she hasn't advanced further.

1. Forget about "justifying her rank",you just learned the hard way that you took to long and you have to get rid of her immediately

There is a nice article about it over at 24 Fighting Chickens about the issue.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2007/07/09/how-to-kick-people-out-of-your-club/

2. While she is probably only annoying, make sure to have your side of the event documented, collecting the statements as mal recommended, get that video safely stored etc

mazzybear
Brown Belt
Brown Belt

Styles: Wado Kai

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
So today, things took a huge turn for the worse. Tonight, the Nidan that basically runs the operations of the club told me that "K" has been informing the parents of some of the students that she is being unfairly targeted. She claims that in her kumite for her test, she was hit intentionally and it caused a slight concussion (nevermind the 3 kicks to the Nidan's "man parts" that she dealt out prior to that). She approached our M.I. and informed him of this and basically said that she's thinking of filing charges against the Nidan. I'm not quite sure if it was an ultimatum to have him removed from his position of authority within the club, but the Nidan has resigned from his duties at the club for fear of having this person ruin the club. He will now train only as a student but will have no authority or voting power in the club. He feels that this is the only way to avoid giving the club a "black eye" for lack of a better term.

I was present at the test, and I was literally 6 feet away when that "hit" occurred. (I put "hit" in quotations because it wasn't a hard enough strike to hurt my 5 year old- they both attacked at the same time, and the Nidan's strike got there first- he tried to shorten the strike, but the student had committed forward, but was trying to lean back) The Nidan was wearing thick padded kumite gloves, and the hit occurred as the student was moving backwards and was done slow and with no power and certainly not intentionally. 10 minutes after that "hit", the student's daughter ran and fell head first into the wall of the same room, and she did not suffer a concussion! After the test, the Nidan actually offered positive encouragement and offered to help the student achieve the rank she desired. Which is why I am floored after hearing what I heard tonight.

I have no other words. I've never come across this kind of childish garbage in the martial arts.

GET RID OF HER IMMEDIATELY!! She is nothing but trouble and the sooner you rid yourselves of her kind of trouble, the better. I would highly doubt she would be able to sue, unless she has evidence of said concussion, even then, she is participating in a contact sport, such injuries are likely to occur. I think most courts would laugh her out the door (they certainly would here in Scotland, that's for sure). Your club has given this woman her fair share of chances IMO, move her on and let her become someone else's problem. It's the Nidan I feel sorry for, having to step down from a position he clearly takes seriously to protect the club, that shows true loyalty and respect. I personally would not have accepted their resignation, rather told him to stay exactly where he was, and stood defiantly beside him to show this egomaniac how ridiculous she really is.

I hope this matter goes away quickly and harmony is restored in the dojo, and the Nidan decides to take up his position again.

M.

jaypo
Purple Belt
Purple Belt

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ineluki wrote:
jaypo wrote:

1. Forget about "justifying her rank",you just learned the hard way that you took to long and you have to get rid of her immediately

There is a nice article about it over at 24 Fighting Chickens about the issue.

http://www.24fightingchickens.com/2007/07/09/how-to-kick-people-out-of-your-club/
2. While she is probably only annoying, make sure to have your side of the event documented, collecting the statements as mal recommended, get that video safely stored etc

I wasn't saying that I want to justify her rank. I just meant that if she argues that she should be a higher rank, I would have video evidence to show her why she has not achieved that rank. I'm putting together a list of "evidence" for when the issue comes to a head. She is actually going out of town for a full month, so we'll have time to get all ducks in a row before the meeting.
Respect others

hammer
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Kyokushin, TKD

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaypo wrote:
I wasn't saying that I want to justify her rank. I just meant that if she argues that she should be a higher rank, I would have video evidence to show her why she has not achieved that rank. I'm putting together a list of "evidence" for when the issue comes to a head. She is actually going out of town for a full month, so we'll have time to get all ducks in a row before the meeting.

There should be no further arguments/discussions about rank, this person should no longer be a student at the school. Refund all dues not "used" and show her the door. Keep the video as evidence in case she considers suing.

Can someone call her now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> Karate All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: