Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

[CT]pizzaboy
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: blue-belt taekwondo/green belt Yoshukai

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you train to make distance a weapon?

ckdstudent
Green Belt
Green Belt

Styles: Choi Kwang Do

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, unless you train to fight only at a distance which other people aren't used to.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

G95champ
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Shotokan Karate (FSKA)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2002 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can.

If you can stay just out of range and make people miss they will hyperextend their elbows and knees when trying to hit you. This will also throw them off balance.

Quick feet to constantly change distance and angles is the best weapon you can have because you can give the impression of attacking or running without raising you hands.

I say don't block what can't hurt you. If you can learn that proper distancing you will keep your hands free at all times.

Taikudo-ka
Green Belt
Green Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another way to use distance is to continually back just out of your opponents range each time they strike. They'll get tired while you expend hardly any energy. Plus you'll get a feel for the sort of attacks they might try to launch. Then, when the opportunity is right, grab that hyperextende elbow G95 mentioned and pull them totally off balance, say into your fist.

The opposite technique would be to close the distance VERY quickly, faster than your opponent expects, and let loose with your hardest, fastest blows. Something direct and quick like a front jab or front kick, with your loudest, most fearsome kiai on each one. It takes a very good opponent not to back up and go totally on the defensive.
To make this all the more effective, once you have actually closed the distance and are ready to make contact, use the opposite strike to actually hit. So say you come in with a series of jabs to the face, and as your opponent goes into "hyper-defense" mode at all those upper jabs, actually hit them with a low front kick.

This could also open another topic... the kiai as a weapon! Most people seem to ignore this, and have pretty pathetic kiai that has to be coaxed out of them. I don't think people realize how hard wired certain reflexive responses are to loud noises. The right shout ("sergeant-major's voice") can invoke an instinctive panic and fear response, as can, say, a dog's bark.

Sensei sometimes shouts loudly at us when we attempt to perform techniques at high speed (AAAARRRRRGGGGHHH!!) and it sure puts me off my rhythm! (As I'm sure he notices...)

KickChick
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Increasing the range of distance from your opponent may be considered a retreat or it may be a shrewd move to draw the opponent off balance. Strong opponents will follow you no matter how much you retreat, so sometimes its beter to stay within you comfort range and fight with all you got! Use range changes to draw your opponent into your attack.
Taller opponents (kickers) tend to stay further away so they can use their reach. Smaller fighters (punchers) like to fight in close to compensate for their lack of reach.

Jack
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made a post about this not so long ago. Use the search feature and look for "Controlling the fighting range". Some interesting information there for you.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

Ti-Kwon-Leap
Blue Belt
Blue Belt

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is NEVER retreat in a straight line.
There are two main reasons for this:
1. It puts you at a disadvantage because people are not designed to run backwards. If you do not believe me then try running backwards as fast as you can and see how it compares to running forwards.
2. It takes you out of striking range where you are unable to utilize any techniques.
A much better strategy is to sidestep or retreat in a circular pattern this way you are controlling your opponent and not the other way around. Another cool move you can do is to bolt forwards at an angle when being attacked. Most fighters have no idea how to deal with you being right in their face and in a place they did not expect you to be! Don't take my word for it, try these techniques next time you spar. They really really work.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: