Add KarateForums.com
Username:    Password:
Remember Me?    
   I Lost My Password!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 See a User Guidelines violation? Press on the post.

chuck_girl
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: karate

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I would call 911, but putting myself in danger, without knowing if I'd be helpful would be bad.

Tigerclaw
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: Kiyojute Ryu Kempo Bugei

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with chuck_girl..call 911,don,t try to jump into a conflict of 9 on 1 or 2 ect,thats an extreamly dangerous situation there,but if you feel that you can handle it,then so be it.(pulls out a AK-47 LOL j/k.

Treebranch
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: Budo Taijutsu, Boxing,Lars Wallin BJJ, Machado Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Kung Fu San Soo, Lima Lama, Taekwondo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone should help if someone is in trouble. Even if it's something as simple as calling the police or calling for help.

The other night it was pretty late. I heard a women screaming at the top of her lungs, Help me! Somebody Help me! So I grabbed my cane sword and rushed out towards the street. I could feel my adrenaline starting to pump. When I finally got there, the women was in a cop car. I guess she was a little batty, and they were taking her somewhere. I have to get myself a jo or a hanbo, I hate to think what could of happened if would have had used the cane sword. Yuk.

"Lock em out or Knock em out"

Drunken Monkey
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: white chocolate profiteroles and natas....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think if you able to help and i mean, genuinely help then do so.
if it is a real situation that requires immediate attention then i think if you walk on by, you are disgracing yourself as a human being.

"When you have to kill a man it costs nothing to be polite."

granmasterchen
Black Belt
Black Belt

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wouldn't the world be a nice place if we all just helped each other

kajukenbo dad
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Kajukenbo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well saided ..............we all need a little help sometimes....Good Luck

Kumite988
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Shito-Ryu

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

monkeygirl wrote:
Maybe I've been watching too much Seinfeld, but aren't there some kind of Good Samaritan laws? You're required to report a crime when you see it and help if at all possible, if I'm correct.

That was the best one! The guy was getting robbed and they were just standing there laughing. I loved how they had all the characters come back for the last trial. Especially the soup nazi

Anyway there are some states with laws requiring you to help someone while in need.

As for me I wouldn't go rushing in trying to be a hero if I knew I couldn't handle it, I'd call someone who could handle it (the cops). It all depends on the situation.

glingglo
Yellow Belt
Yellow Belt

Styles: TKD

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"good samaritan" laws generally refer to the laws that protect you from being sued if you try to help someone and they are harmed by your assistance. like if you try to help a car accident victim and don't stabilize their neck correctly and they have neck problems later - they can't sue you because you were trying to help. these laws don't mean that you're legally required to help people or report crimes. though i think you must be a real jerk if you don't.

GrrrArg
Black Belt
Black Belt

Styles: karate of some form

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phone the cops first, estimate the risk and if you can help then do so, but if you stood a good chance of being badly hurt or worse, killed, then keep back and wait for the professionals to turn up.

KoreanTiger30
Orange Belt
Orange Belt

Styles: Tae Kwon Do, Hapkido, Haedong Gumdo, Kyuk Too Ki, and any Korean Styles I learn from training with others

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a story that will add some thought. I try to avoid all confrontations as mucha s possible because I dont want to hurt nayone or get hurt in the situation. One night i was coming outside a Target after getting an ink cartridge for school papers and I saw 6 guys harassing a 16 year old girl. You know what I mean. She kept saying leave me alone and stop touching me. I walked over and said is there a problem and one of them replied "this doesnt concern you" and I looked at the girl and she was crying. So I pulled the girl away from them and put her behind me and and that when I realized here it goes because they started circling me. Well one after another tried to attack me and I would throw and joint lock punch and kick well 4 of them lsot conciiousness so I called 911 because the other two ran off. But On arival the police searched the 4 guys and found 2 gus and 3 knives. Still to this day that girl writes me for saving her life. I thought about afterwards what would of happend to her if I hadnt been there. So I think we do have a responsibililty, we train in these arts for a reaosn to stand by the weak and stand up for ourselves.
International Haedong Gumdo Federation
Kyuk Too Ki (Korean Kickboxing/Streetfighting)
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    KarateForums.com Forum Index -> General Martial Arts Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: